Take Me Or Leave Me

"We always spend our anniversary together.."

"I know, I couldn't get around it... I'm sorry, Dear."

"It's not your fault.. I'm just bummed out"

"I know you are. I am too.. As soon as I get off work, I'm taking you out on a date."

"..that'll be nice" I said with a small smile

"I know it's not ideal, but it's the best we can manage. Besides, working tomorrow, we can have an even nicer date later on"

"It's okay. I'm just glad we get to spend it together."

I was more than a bit disappointed that we wouldn't be able to spend our day together, but there was nothing either of us could do. Though, I was determined to make our ten year anniversary one of our best.

Kevin stripped down to his boxers and socks, and got into bed, letting out a slight sigh.

"..you're bummed too, huh?" I asked

"Of course I am. I love you, and I love spending our anniversary together."

"I do too. We don't need an all-day anniversary, though, just a nice evening.."

"I agree.. I'll make our night together tomorrow special, I promise."

"I know you will. All I need for our anniversary is for you to tell me you love me. You don't have to break your back trying to make it perfect."

"I know our anniversary means a lot to you.. and it means a lot to me too.. I mean, ten years!! I've gotten the privilege of loving you for ten years!"

".. I love you" I smiled, setting my hand on his warm shoulder.

"I love you too, McKinley. Get some sleep, eh?"

"Okay.. good night, Babydoll.."

"Good night, Sunshine."

I didn't go straight to bed. Instead, I started to plan. I had to make our anniversary great.

The next day, I carried it out. I spent the day buying flowers, writing little notes and posting them around the house. I bought ingredients for his favorite meal, and a new record. I cleaned the house and set up his favorite candles. They were scented like cedar and pine. I even bought a new cologne for the occasion.

The minute Kevin got off work, I pulled out my phone to call him. Before I could even punch in his number, my phone rang.

"Hey, it's Kevin!" He cheered when I answered

"Hey, I was just about to call you! Look, come straight home, it turns out I didn't need anything from the store. Just come on home when you can!"

"Yeah.. about that.. I uh.. my car's popped a tire. There's a spare in my mom's car. I'm down on Church Street, right by the park. Can you come get me?"

"Oh.. uh, gee, sure.. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thanks. I'll see you soon. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Kid."

I blew out the candles and went to his mom's house, collected the tire for Kevin, and started my journey to him. It wouldn't take too long, only ten minutes or so.

As I approached, I saw him on the hood of his truck, waiting for my arrival. He waved when he saw me.

"Hey!! I brought your tire!!"

"Thank you!! You're very sweet? Was it heavy?"

"Yeah" i chuckled, setting it up on the hood "let's get it on there, we have to get home quickly"