Gratitude

Weeks had passed without me getting hit, once. It was unusual, frankly. I've rarely gone a week without my dad flying off the handle, much less several. Honestly, it was a bit unsettling. It was so unlike him to refrain, it only makes you wonder how much anger he has built up inside him, waiting to boil over. It makes you wonder just how bad it's going to be when he finally does snap.
I've been going even further out of my way not to get caught. To keep the texts and calls with Kevin to a minimum, hide everything that has to do with Kevin, and not even be seen near him if we're in view of my house. He hides out of sight behind a tree when we meet in the mornings, and until I'm back in the house when he drops me off in the evenings. It was exhausting, truthfully. The uncertainty was scarier than anything else. Not knowing what awaited me was far more anxiety provoking. I know it wasn't just some change of heart. That man has no empathy. There was no heart to change. It's only a matter of time before he snaps. And I fear the longer the wait, the worse it will be.

Because of this, I haven't even attempted to see my grandparents. I was too scared of the outcome. I know they're not going to be around much longer, but I can't jeopardize everything by risking being caught.
Perhaps I can just ask him if I can go. It's unlikely that he would agree, but I'd rather be shot down than get caught sneaking around and risk being seriously hurt. It can't hurt to ask.

"Hey, Dad..?" I strolled into the living room, placing both hands awkwardly placed in my pockets

He turned to me, not answering

"D-Do you think I could visit grandma, maybe? I'm sorry to ask, it's okay if I can't, I just... I miss her.. was hoping to maybe make a visit- a quick one, real quick.. it's not a big deal or anything.."

"...Fine." He seemed annoyed. But he was always annoyed.

"..Really? Thank you so much! I'll.. I'll figure out a plan.. thank you."

I went back upstairs and picked up my phone, calling Kevin

He answered after a few rings

"Hello?"

"Hey, Kev!" I whispered

"Hi! How are you doing"

"I'm doing great... Do you uh.. do you wanna go see my grandparents today? My dad agreed to let me go."

"Sounds great! What time?"

"Um, my dad is leaving in around a half hour, are you free then?"

"Sure, text me when he's gone, I'll head right over."

"Perfect"

"I'll see you then. Love you"

"I love you too, Kev" I hung up and waited for my dad to leave. Once I heard his car pull out of the driveway, I texted Kevin. He showed up within seven minutes and I met him by the door

"Hey! Thank you for coming.."

"Anytime, Sunshine." He replied with a grin as we started on our way to the hospital

He took my hand as we neared the entrance, and even spoke to the woman at the desk for me, walking back over to me when he was done

"Room three-o-four" he motioned for me to follow.

We walked far enough for my legs to start getting tired before we finally reached the door.

He held it open for me as I walked in, following closely behind

"..Connor! Is that you?" She smiled as I sat down in the chair nearest her bed

"Hi! It's me"

"It's so good to see you, I missed you! What are you doing here?"

"I missed you.. my dad finally let me come visit, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity

"I'm glad you did.. Who's that handsome boy you have over there?"

"That's, uh.. that's my boyfriend"

"..Steve?"

"No, Steve was from the fifth grade, Grandma" I chuckled "This is Kevin."

"Hello. It's nice to meet you, Mrs. McKinley." He waved with a smile

"It's nice to meet you too, Kevin.. taking good care of him for me?"

"I do my best." He chuckled a bit

"...I like him, Connor."

He and my grandmother had a small, cheery conversation, poking fun at me the entire time. It overjoyed me to see them getting along so well. They were the two people I loved most, after all. Neither of them were talking to me all that much, but I didn't really care. I was just so happy to see them both. There was a smile on my face the entire time, my cheeks ached. After nearly an hour, we decided we should go. I was already pushing my fathers limits by coming here in the first place, I certainly don't want to overstay my permitted time.

"Hey, uh.. we gotta go, Grandma. It was really fantastic to talk to you.."

"It was good to see you too. I love you, Connor" She said

"I love you too" I finally stood up

"It was nice to meet you, Kevin" She said before we left

"It was nice to meet you as well." He smiled as we walked out the door.

I immediately turned to him, smiling so much that I was getting teary-eyed

"Thank you so much for bringing me here, Kev... It was so sweet of you"

"Of course. I'm glad to come. It was just nice to see you so happy."

I looked out the window to see snow falling. I turned back at him before we left the building, to point out the snow, only to find him still gazing at me. My cheeks ran pink

"What're you looking at?" I giggled

"You... You're pretty"

"Stop being so damn charming, it's not fair."

"Make me, McKinley" he smirked

I rolled my eyes, taking his hand

As we neared my house. My dad's car still wasn't in the driveway, meaning we could take our time with goodbyes. I turned back to him, able to see his breath in the cold air. The sun was still shining despite the snow, reflecting in his eyes. He looked back at me and smiled.

"Thanks again.. I really do appreciate you bringing me to see my grandmother.. It means a lot to me."

"Of course, Sunshine. I'll take you anytime you want."

"Thank you."

He nodded, kissing me softly, a hand on my shoulder.

"I had a really nice time today.. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Absolutely. Have a nice night."

"See you, Connor" He grinned, ruffling my hair a bit, before walking back to his house. I watched him go down the street until he was out of view. I walked back into my house, sitting back on my bed, still smiling. My dad returned, slamming the door not too long after. I ignored it, nothing able to break my spirit in that moment.