Knock On Wood

"You know, I don't have to go... I can stay here, if you'd like.."

"No.. you should go.."

"Promise you'll be okay?"

"Promise. Go on, catch your train.." I assured him, giving a smile

"Alright. I'll call you tonight, yeah?"

"Yeah. Have fun, okay?"

"I will. Remember to take your medicine while I'm gone.. and if you ever need something to do, my mom will always be happy to see you."

"Okay. Get on, you're going to be late.."

"Alright. I love you" he smiled, wrapping me in a hug

"I love you too, Kevvy"

He gave me a quick kiss, before picking up his second, and smaller bag, and getting on the train. He waved from the window, until they left. He looked excited. I would be too. I hope he'll tell his grandfather about me, but I understand why he wouldn't. He doesn't want to lose both his father, and his grandfather. And his grandfather is getting older, as well. If he reacted poorly, he wouldn't want him to pass, loving him any less. But on the same note, what if he was okay with it? And Kevin never told him. And he's disappointed that was hidden from him, his whole life. It's a tricky situation. Whatever decision he makes, I hope he's content with it.

I drove myself back home from the station, picking up a couple groceries on the way.

Being home without him was lonely, I'll admit, but I got a lot done. I cleaned the bathroom, the kitchen, fed the birds outside, and made myself some lunch. I took a shower, and practiced songs on the piano. I also took Frida out into the back yard with me, and read my book with her, as she took a nap next to me.
I often wondered what Kevin was doing in that moment. Was he having fun? I want to talk to him, but we're waiting until bed. I hope I can fall asleep without him easily enough. Sometimes it takes ages. I sleep best with him.

Hours upon several more passed, before it was finally time to call him. I was in bed, Frida by my feet.

Kevin picked up after four rings

"Hello?"

"Hi!"

"Hey, Sweetheart! I was just talkin' about you.."

"Oh yeah..?"

"Yeah."

"Good things, I'd hope.."

"You know i have nothing but wonderful things to say about you" he said, his smirk audible in his tone

"What'd you tell him? ....did you tell him about us?"

"I did.. I just couldn't hide the most important and..and wonderful piece of my life any longer.."

"How did he take it?"

"Well. He doesn't really get it, but he's okay with it.. you know? He doesn't understand the whole science bit of it, he thinks it's a choice, but he also thinks it's my choice to make. And that he doesn't love me any less.. or think differently of me.. I'm really pleased."

"Me too.. that's so great, Kevin.."

"It really is.. so what have you been up to, good sir?"

"Not a whole lot.. I miss you. I just wanted to talk before bed.."

"I miss you too. A whole bunch. Are you in bed now?"

"Yes"

"Did you take your medicine?"

"I did"

"Good. Did you put on pajamas or are you just going to bed in your clothes?"

"Pajamas. Kind of.."