Prayer

He moved all the way over, making space for me to lay comfortably.

"Are you sure you don't want me to sleep on the chair over there? It's still be close to you, you'll just have more space to sleep."

"No.. I want you here." He replied hoarsely, pulling me onto the edge of the hospital bed

I nodded and sat down, trying to take up as little space as possible, and leaned back against the wall, as he curled up to me. I had one arm around his shoulder, the other lightly playing with his hair.

"Goodnight, Sunshine.." He mumbled

"Goodnight, Kev" I whispered, as he closed his eyes

I waited for quite a while before Kevin fell asleep. After he finally dozed off, I sat up a little more, checking to make sure he was really out before I started. He was a heavy enough sleeper that if I whisper, it was likely I wouldn't wake him up. He can't know I'm praying over him. I don't even fully remember how to pray. Do I just talk? Do I say something in particular? I'm not sure.

"Hi... it's me. Connor... McKinley... Look, I know I've let you down lately.. But, Kevin on the other hand, has never let anyone down, much less you...  He doesn't deserve this. He's a good person.. If you could do something... anything.. to help him. H-He's a remarkable man, and he deserves to get through this... I-I'm not sure how to end this, I haven't done this in years. But.. please.. Just keep him safe.. Uh.. A-Amen." I still wasn't sure if I did that properly, but I tried my best.

Kevin groaned softly, turning his head

"Did you say something?" He asked, drowsily, opening his eyes

"No.. Go back to sleep, love"

He nodded, and closed his eyes again, putting his arm over me, resting his head on my chest.

"Goodnight" He mumbled

"Night."

I finally closed my eyes, but found it very hard to fall asleep in this place. There's always people talking in the halls. There's always equipment beeping. There's very little silence. Kevin seemed to sleep easily, despite all of this. It was difficult to see, but the lights from the hall infiltrated through the window enough to get a good enough idea of what was around me. I finally fell asleep after what felt like hours of sitting, staring at the ceiling. 

I woke up before Kevin, after having woken up and fallen back asleep several times throughout the night. I didn't get a very good night of sleep, but I haven't in a while anyway. I sat up, yawning a bit, accidentally waking Kevin in the process.

"Shit, sorry. I didn't mean to wake you.."

"It's alright... I was ready to get up anyway.. Are you gonna stay today?"

"If you'll have me."

"Are you sure..? Connor, you should go home and.. take care of yourself.."

"I'm fine. I want to stay with you."

"When was the last time you ate..?"

"A day ago. I'm not hungry, though. I'm alright."

"Come on, go home.. you have to eat something.. take a shower, get some real sleep... You can come back at any time afterward... I promise I'll be okay."

"Okay... I'll be back soon, alright, Kev?" I said as I stood up, getting my backpack and jacket.

"Thank you... I love you, Hotshot."

"Love you, too" I quickly kissed him on the forehead before ruffling his hair and taking my leave.

I walked down the hall, out the hospital doors, and down the street. It was freezing outside. Luckily, my house was fairly close by.
I reached my house in around ten minutes, unlocking my door and dropping my bag by the entrance. I called out to see if my dad was home, but it was seemingly empty aside from myself. Relieved, I closed the door behind me, walking up my stairs. I went into the bathroom, turning the shower on. I waited for the water to turn hot before undressing, and getting in. I was fairly sweaty, seeing as I haven't showered in quite a while. So, I took my time, the hot water soothing my stiff back. I turned the water off after a good twenty minutes, drying off with a towel. I got dressed, finally putting on some fresh clothes. My usual tie with white shirt, and Kevin's jacket over it. As I waited for my hair to dry I walked back down the stairs and went to my kitchen. I looked through the refrigerator, searching for something that I could eat without feeling nauseous. I finally grabbed a handful of carrot sticks, technically past their expiration date, but still edible. I ate them rather slowly, not particular a fan of soggy, past-their-date vegetables. Thankfully, I kept them down, and finished drying my hair.
Then, I got ready to go back, taking my phone from the charger and putting some shoes on. I finally left, after an hour and a half of getting ready.

I made my way back to the hospital, only to find Kevin's room empty. I walked up to the closest doctor that I recognized.

"Hi, um, sorry, do you know where Kevin Price is? He's not in his room."

"Kevin's currently in surgery, is there something I can help you with?"

"..surgery? He didn't- he didn't tell me... D-Do you know when he'll be out? Do you know when I can see him again?"

"He should be out in less than an hour, but he can't have visitors until tomorrow."

"That's a good thing, right.. surgery means he's getting it fixed. Right?"

"I don't know all of the details, I'm not his attending. He's in surgery, that's just about all I can give you."

"Oh... Okay. Thank you..." I walked away, starting back to my house with a newfound anxiety.

I was definitely disappointed that I didn't get to see him, but surgery means his lung will be fixed soon. Right?

I got back to my house, my father thankfully still not back. I decided to just drink some water and go to sleep. I grabbed a glass of water, chugging it before I walked back up the stairs, changing into my pajamas and flopping into the bed. I'm worried about him for sure, but he's definitely in good hands.