Another Hundred People

I watched out my window, the slew of Boston traffic. Frida watched with me, mesmerized.
The radio played behind me on a randomized station, as I awaited Kevin's return. I had already started dinner, he's usually home by now. I'm just keeping it on the stove until he finally gets home. I was beginning to worry, he's never late. Though I tried to keep in mind that it's busier in Boston than it is at home. I wasn't paying much attention to the radio, I just like having background noise. Though, my brain forced into focus when I heard the word's 'traffic accident'. There had been a crash on the street Kevin takes to work. I began to get very nervous. When they announced a casualty, I went into a panic.
I grabbed my phone off the counter, immediately calling Kevin. It rang and rang, but he didn't pick up.

"come on, Kevin, please.. please pick up" I whispered, dialing him a second time. There was still no answer. "Fuck. Oh god.. oh fuck.." I muttered to myself, panicked beyond belief.

I was interrupted by the doorknob turning. I shot my head around to see Kevin, unharmed. 

"Kevin!!" I ran to him, wrapping him in a tight hug

"Hey.. is everything okay?"

"Why didn't you answer your phone!?"

"It was on silent, I was in meetings all day.. what's the matter?"

"There was an accident on your road, someone died. I-I tried to call you three times, but you wouldn't pick up, I thought you-!"

"Hey- hey, I'm okay... yeah, the crash slowed traffic, but I didn't think to call you, I didn't know it was being broadcasted."

"Thank god you're okay.." I sighed, squeezing him tightly before letting go

"If I had known you'd called, I would've picked up. I'm sorry I frightened you.. I'm alright, though. Just take a breath.."

I nodded and slowed myself down, taking his hand.

"That poor guy.. I feel awful for his family.. and him. It looked awful.. I didn't see it happen, luckily.. but the car was absolutely wrecked, There was glass all over the road. And I saw someone on.. on a stretcher. Covered with a sheet.."

"God.."

"I know... it was terrible.... I-I think I'm going to go to the bathroom.. just freshen up.." he sighed, setting down his briefcase, not knowing how to fully process it.
I know he doesn't know the guy, he's never met or heard of him before in his life. But Kevin's so deeply empathetic. He can meet someone once and be ready to do anything for them. And death is hard for him to deal with. He feels so deeply for everyone he encounters. He looked shaken up.

He returned from the bathroom a couple minutes later, giving me a weak smile.

"How're you doing?"

"I'm fine.. I-It's not about me. I just feel so terribly for him.. I wish there was something I could have done.. He didn't deserve that, nobody deserves that, no one."

"I'm sure he's in a better place...At least he's not afraid anymore.. h-he's not in pain. He's happy now.. I'm sure he's out there, comforted."

"I hope so.."

"I made some dinner.. maybe... maybe it'll be good for you to eat"

"Maybe.."

"Go on, sit down.. I'll fix you a plate"

He obliged and moved to the couch, while I got him dinner. He loosened his tie a bit, ignoring the cat that brushed against his shoulder.

"Here.." I handed him the plate

"Thank you, Darling... do you mind if we pray?"

"No, of course not."

He set his plate on the coffee table, bowing his head and crossing his arms.
I did the same.