Graceless

I woke to Kevin carrying me through the park, his backpack slung over his shoulder, my head against his chest.

"Wha-.. what's going on....?" I mumbled, still half asleep.

"You fell asleep at the school.."

"I'm sorry.."

"No, it's okay! I'm just taking you to the car.. you can go back to sleep if you want."

"No, No, I'll stay up.."

"Okay." He chuckled, nearing the car.

"Thank you for carrying me.."

"It's no problem, Love." He set me down as we got to the car, opening the door for me.

I climbed into the passenger seat, buckling myself in and putting my legs up in the seat with me, holding Kevin's right hand as he drove. I fell back asleep in the car, resulting in Kevin carrying me to our apartment. He got me into bed safe and sound, only waking me when he pulled the covers over me.

"Darn. I fell back asleep...." I mumbled

"It's okay. Just get back to sleep." He whispered, kissing my forehead and climbing into bed next to me "Goodnight, Sweetheart." He yawned, wrapping both arms around me.

"Night.."

I dozed off nearly instantly, using Kevin's stomach as a pillow, his hands entangled in my hair.

I woke to the sound of sizzling from the kitchen, and the light clattering of dishes. I reached over to my side to Kevin, but his side of the bed was empty.

I pulled my sweater on, heading into the kitchen to investigate, to find Kevin, cooking breakfast, his hair still a mess from sleeping.

"Good morning, sleepyhead.." He smiled

"Morning."

"Breakfast will be ready soon!"

"Oh, thank you so much.. if you had woken me, I could've helped."

"No, you looked like you needed your sleep."

"Well, thank you..."

"Sure. Did you sleep well?"

"Very."

"Good. How're you feeling?"

"I feel alright... I wish my grandfather were here."

"I know, baby.."

"But.. I mean, other than that, I feel fine. You know, I miss him, but.. whatever. I don't wanna talk about it. I want to try to be happy today. He'd want me to be happy."

"..Good for you. Sometimes you have to choose happiness, no matter how hard it is."

"Yeah.. so whatcha cookin' over there?"

"Bacon and eggs."

"Oh, heck yes" i smiled, walking over behind him, watching him cook.

"You like eggs?"

"Love em."

"Good, cause I'm making a lot."

"Yay!"

"...you're so cute." He smiled, shaking his head.

"Oh shush"

"You're adorable. Breakfast is ready." He grinned, handing me a plate.

"Thank you!" I left a kiss on his cheek, heading to the couch. He followed, stretching out his legs across the couch, his feet on my lap.