Yours

It had been months since we lost Benson. I was doing much better. Of course, I still thought about him. Every time I walked past the garden. Or when I was falling asleep alone in bed, I'd think about the times he would be there with me. We had good times. But he's in a wonderful place now. I bet he's napping in a little flower box as we speak.

I still miss him, and I don't think I'll ever not miss him. He was great. But I'm not quite so sad anymore. I'm happy about the wonderful life we gave him. And i'm happy we had him. Perhaps I'll get a new cat a while after we get kids. I'm sure they'd love a cat. I always wanted a cat when I was young.

"Kevin, baby!" I called down from upstairs as I dried off my hair from the shower I had just taken.

"Yeah?"

"What're we doing for lunch?"

"Uh.... whatever you want. I'm not picky."

I headed downstairs, standing behind him on the couch

"Whatcha reading?" I asked, wrapping my arms loosely around his neck.

"The Talisman."

"Any good? I asked, hopping up onto the couch, landing on the seat.

"It's alright. I've read better."

"So, what about lunch?"

"I told you, I'm fine with anything"

I spun myself around, laying back on Kevin's lap, covering his book so he'd pay attention to me.

He laughed, taking off his glasses, and looking down at me.

"What're you doing?"

"Laying down."

"Alrighty. I see you didn't brush out your hair.." he smiled, putting his glasses on me, which made absolutely everything blurry for me.

"No. I didn't feel like it."

"I like your wavy hair." He grinned

"Yeah. Can I these off, it's hard to see." I giggled

"You just look so cute in them.." he said, placing his finger on the tip of my nose.

I took off the glasses, putting them back on him. He looks cute in His glasses. He usually wears contacts, but he uses his glasses a few times a week, and it's an absolute blessing. He looks fantastic in them.

"How about we go get some sandwiches? I really like the veggie melts at the place downtown."

"Sounds good."

".....Do you think we could visit my grandfather today?" I ask, looking back up at him.

"Yeah. Do you want me to come with?"

I nodded.

"I wanted to talk to him. About what's going on. It's been at least a year or so. I want to visit him.."

"Okay. We'll go before lunch."

We headed out at around twelve, Kevin driving me to the cemetery.

"Uhh... it's been a while since I've had a talk with him. Man to man. Do you mind if I go speak to him for a bit? By myself?" He asked as we pulled in.

"Yeah, go ahead"

"Great. Thank you."

He got out of the car, sitting down in front of my grandfather's grave.

"Hi... it's been some time since we last spoke... but, I just wanted to say a few things" he started, not knowing I could still hear him from the car "..... I'm so lucky to have your grandson. He's the love of my life. He's...He's perfect. And he doesn't believe me when I tell him that, but you know. You know how astounding he is.. he's turned out to be quite the man. And since you raised him far more than his father, I must thank you. For the.. incredible man he turned out to be. He's a lot like you. Smart. Funny. Rather sophisticated, but not stuck up. Loving. But he's also his own man. He's cute and he's quirky and he loves space and stars. I adore him. Every bit of him. And I need to thank you for letting me into his life. Accepting me. Treating me as family. He's wonderful... and handsome... and gee, I can't even begin to tell you how much I truly love the boy. And I promise I'm going to do everything in my power to help him. Make him happy each day. Make him feel safe and loved. And protected... there's nobody I'd rather spend my life with..... I'm sorry you couldn't have attended the wedding. We both wished you were there.. but it was a lovely day for both of us... anyways, I just wanted to say thank you. For raising such an incredible man. And I wanted to assure you I'm going to be here to take care of him for the the rest of our lives together.... he's doing well. He's been eating well and being safe and hasn't been depressed. He's been rather happy, actually. I'm incredibly proud. He's come very far. If you could see him now... he's so strong.... I can't believe how hard I've fallen for him. I-I know you didn't know me when I first met him, but... I wasn't a great guy. I was rude and egotistical and thought I was better than people. But when I met him, something changed. He made me soft.. and caring. He makes me a better man. And i'm so fortunate for that. I care so much for him. I hate the person I used to be. But he saw the good in me. And he helped me let it come out. He made me who I am. He's an amazing boy. Thank you for turning him into the man he is today.. we love you."