Flight (TdV Short Story)

The final part of the story in 'Going Forward', 'Desire', 'An Invitation', and 'Gifts'

~~~~~~

 Julie stared at the red boots in surprise. She hadn't expected anything so fancy as a gift, and these boots were the finest shoes she had ever laid eyes upon.

 Sitting down on the bench, she took off her old shoes, placing them carefully together under the bench. She then pulled on the red boots, and stared down at her feet. To her surprised, they fit perfectly. It was as if they had been made exactly for her feet.

 Julie threw her shawl around her to keep warm, and she closed her eyes. She had no idea what this castle looked like, but she imagined it in her mind, and imagined Herbert pacing the floors, waiting for her to come to him. She imagined the two of them dancing together along the floors, and she was dancing in the red boots Herbert had left for her.

 If he had given her such beautiful shoes, couldn't that mean he wanted her to dance with him in those shoes? Perhaps he had invited her to his castle and given her the boots so they could dance together along those floors without a care in the world.

 When she opened her eyes again, she was back in her village, standing outside the inn. Still in the same old place.

 She looked in the direction the castle seemed to be in, from what she could tell. She then looked up at the inn, where she had been staying for so long. After staring at the inn for a long time, she turned towards the forest, knowing exactly what she was going to do.

 Julie ran. She ran so quickly through the forest that she nearly tripped and fell many times. She just kept running, and didn't look back. She knew if she looked back, she would think this was a terrible idea and run home. No, she had to keep going without looking back if she wanted to do it.

 Eventually, Julie saw the castle up ahead, and stopped in front of the gate to catch her breath. She stood there for a minute or two, breathing in and out deeply.

 She stepped back as the gates began to slowly open on their own, and standing on the other side was Herbert.

 "Well, hello, my dear Julie," Herbert said with a smile. "You know, I thought you might choose me in the end."