Alec Lightwood #2

You have been a little worried about Alec lately. He doesn't seem like his usual self. He's usually on the top of his game, but he seems more distracted, like his mind is somewhere far away from the Institute.

 One evening, he knocks on the door to your room and says, "Hey. Still wide awake, huh?"

 You nod, closing your book. "Didn't feel like getting ready for bed so soon. So, what's up?"

 "I just wanted to give you a bit of congratulations. You've been doing really well lately, and people are noticing. There could be a promotion in your future."

 "Hmm." You smile and nod. "That actually sounds good. Thanks, Alec."

 He nods. "Sure."

 He lingers for a moment in the doorway, as if wanting to talk to about something else.

 "Something else up?" you ask. "You've seemed kind of high-strung lately."

 He shakes his head. "No. I'm good."

 "Are you sure?" you ask.

 He sighs. "No. There is something I've been thinking about. I've...been having trouble with Magnus."

 You nod. "Uh-huh. Anything in particular, or just a few little arguments couples tend to have sometimes?"

 "No, it-it's something in particular." He comes into the room and sits down next to you. "I'm not the only person Magnus has been with. I mean, he's hundreds of years old, and I figured there must have been someone else once. But it didn't really hit me until recently. I found stuff in his apartment from people he loved once. It was all in this old box he has."

 "Oh. Okay, that doe sound awkward. But you know, just because he still has that old stuff doesn't mean he doesn't love you now."

 "I know. I know that, and Magnus wants to focus on the present, but I can't get this out of my head."

 "Then I think you need to think about whether you want to stay in a relationship with him," you say. "Give it some serious thought, because it could be worth it in the end."

 He sighs. "Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks, Y/N. Um...I guess I'm glad I talked to you."

 You nod. "Sure. Just don't be too hasty."

 "Yeah. Sure."

 After he leaves, you wonder if your own advice is true. But you figure maybe it is. This love Alec has might just be worth all the trouble he's going through.