Inspector Javert #1 (Les Miserables)

After spending so much time on the streets, you know and know of nearly everyone. You were gifted with a good pair of ears, and have listened in on a lot of conversations.

 When you first made the acquaintance of Inspector Javert in a misunderstanding with the police, he seemed to see a potential in you. The two of you ended up in a sort of partnership: should you ever come across any information that could be useful to the police, you would bring to the Inspector. 

 It's one of the those occasions when you have such information when Javert comes looking for you at the street corner you're usually hanging around.

 "I tried to get into your offices to see you," you say. "They wouldn't let me in. I suppose I don't look the sort who would be coming to see you." 

 "I am very sorry for that," he says. "I will make it known that I expect visits from you, and not to turn you away. Why did you come looking for me? Did you hear something?"

 "Oh, something's happened," you answer. "Remember that man you were telling me about? Jean Valjean? I saw him."

 You watch as the inspector's eyes widen. "You saw him? Here? In Paris?"

 "Where else would I have seen him? Just down that way, yesterday afternoon," you point down the road, "I saw him who looked familiar, although I knew I certainly hadn't met him. And then I remembered the way you described Jean Valjean. It was him, Inspector. I know you said he was a dangerous criminal and all, but really, he walked like a gentleman."

 "That doesn't matter," he snaps. "Y/N," he grips you by the shoulders, "Do you have any idea where he could be now?"

 "Not at the moment," you say. "I can make some inquiries, though, see what I can find. If you would like me to."

 "Yes, of course I would you to. Valjean is a criminal. You can't have him walking about the streets like a gentleman. You're not the police; you can discover more things than I."

 You nod. "All right. I'll see what I can find." You smile. "You know, I'd say you're rather lucky I've grown fond of you. Let's work together on this, then, you and I." 

 He sighs. "Yes, of course. Please, find whatever you can, and bring it to me at once."

 You smile as you watch him hurry off. One dangerous criminal it is, then.