Phil Coulson #1

"That was exciting, wasn't it?" you say as you walk in.

 "I think you could gone a little easier with the firearm," Phil says behind you.

 "Why? They deserved it, didn't they?"

 "Well, I won't argue with that. All in all, you did pretty well for your first mission out there."

 You smile. "Did I? You always said I was great in training."

 "And I would not have told you that if it wasn't true. You have always been great in training, Y/N, and now I hope you're going to do great out in the field." 

 You nod. "Well, for you, I'll give it my best shot. You didn't have to escort me home, you know."

 "Well, I thought it might be a good idea. Those guys were dangerous, and you killed a bunch of them, so...never know who could be lurking around."

 "And do you think I couldn't handle them myself?" you ask him.

 "I'm not saying that," he answers. "It's just good have backup in situations like that."

 "Mm-hmm. You must really like me, huh? I mean, you were by my side through that whole operation, and then you personally escorted me to my apartment."

 "You're a new agent, Y/N. You couldn't expect me to leave you by yourself."

 He says it in such a serious way that you can't help laughing. "Geez, Phil, I'm only joking with you. You know, you can lighten up a little. I'm not trying to hit on you or anything."

 "Of course," he says, but he seems to become a little less tense. "Uh, I knew that."

 "Hmm. So, out of curiosity, do S.H.E.I.L.D. agents like...you know..."

 "Date?"

 "Yeah. Do they?"

 "Sometimes. I haven't seen many agents who are couples, so I don't really know whether it's good or bad."

 "What would be bad about it?" you ask.

 "Well, it could be a good thing. If you're out in the field together, you might know how to work well as a team. But it can also be distracting. You know, worry too much about each other and lose focus on the mission."

 You nod. "Okay. So, you're neutral, then? It could or it couldn't work?"

 "Yeah, I guess so."

 "Okay. So, I asked you to go out with me, would you?"

 Phil raises his eyebrows. "What?"

 "I mean, like, if another agent asked you on a date, and you liked them, would you go out with them?"

 He doesn't seem to sure about that question.

 "I think it would depend on a lot of things," he says. "But anyway, I have to go."

 "No, not yet. Why don't you stay and have something to eat or drink or something?"

 "No, I should be getting back to headquarters. I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N."

 You show him to the door, and when he's gone, you flop down on the sofa and groan.

 "Oh, Phil," you say out loud, "You would not go out with a new agent unless you really liked them, would you?" You place your hands behind your head and look up at the ceiling. "Well, maybe I can convince you someday. I'm sure we'll be on more missions together in the future."

 The thought of going on more missions together makes you smile.