Clary Fray #4

"Where's Clary?" you ask Isabelle. "I can't find her anywhere."

 "There was an emergency," she answers. "Clary and Jace were sent out on a mission."

 "An emergency mission? How dangerous?" 

 "It seemed pretty serious."

 "When do you think they'll be back?"

 She shrugs. "I don't know. It's hard to say."

 You nod. "Thanks, Isabelle."

 This isn't the first Clary has had to go off on a mission, so you tell yourself not to worry too much. Yes, you find it alarming the Clary was sent away on a mission, but she's tough. She'll be back.

 But what if something goes wrong? Shadowhunter missions are dangerous. You know Downworlders aren't all bad, but there are still those that are. Clary is probably in danger. She could get hurt, even get killed. What then?

 Stop it, you tell yourself. She'll be back soon. She always comes back.

~~~~~~

 You're in your room, trying to keep yourself busy. In the end, you find yourself pacing back and forth across the room. Where is Clary? Why isn't she back yet? Something must have happened, you think. Maybe something happened to Jace, and she's helping him. That seemed likely, even though Jace is good at keeping himself from getting killed.

 You stop pacing when someone knocks on your door.

 "What is it?" you ask.

 "It's Isabelle," you hear. "Clary and Jace are back, if you want to see them."

 In a flash, you fling the door open, thank Isabelle, and go running down the hall.

 "Clary?" you call.

 "I'm here." 

 You pull her into a hug when she appears before you.

 "I was worried about you," you say.

 "Y/N, you worry about me every time I go out."

 "I know, but you guys were gone for so long this time. Where were you? Did something bad happen?"

 She sighs. "It's a long story. How about I tell you over dinner? I'm hungry now." 

 You nod. "That sounds great, as long as you stick around."

 "I'm not going anywhere, Y/N. I'm happy to be right here with you."