Tom Riddle #1

You don't even bother with your food as you sit silently at your place in the Great Hall. You're watching someone down at the other end of the table. Tom Riddle, to be particular. He's poking his dinner with his fork, not even bothering to pretend he's eating. You've seen the look in his eyes, the way he's always silently calculating everything happening around him. What he's up to, you can't figure out.

 You wait for him to get up to leave before getting up yourself, planning to cut him off as he's leaving. When he gets to the doors, you roughly place your hand on his shoulder and steer him into a corner in the entrance hall.

 "What is this, Y/N?" Tom asks impatiently. "Still trying to uncover my secrets? I told you I didn't want to be friends."

 "I remember you turning down my offer very clearly," you say. "But I don't care if you say yes or no, if you like me or not. I still care, Tom."

 He scoffs. "Well, then you're just plain mad, aren't you? I don't have friends, and I don't friends. I thought I made that clear to you."

 "You did, but I am talking to you anyway. Tom, I know you had something to do with the opening of the Chamber of Secrets. Rubeus Hagrid was expelled, and it's all been hushed up, but I know there's more to be said. I have known you the entire time you have been at Hogwarts, and I know that you being the one to uncover everything was not an accident. What is happening to you, Tom? You weren't like this before."

 "Maybe I've changed since our early days at Hogwarts," he snapped. "Did you once ever think of that?"

 "Of course I did," you answer. "I don't know what the reason is for this change, but I know we were almost friends once, Tom. You have changed, but if you could just let me understand you-"

 "No. Goodnight, Y/N." He pushes past you and heads for the Grand Staircase.

 Well, he'll end up regretting this at some point, you think. It's always good to have a genuine friend in your corner.