Cormac McLaggen #1

"Hey, Y/N." Cormac sits down next to you at the Gryffindor table.

 "Was wondering where you were," you say. "So, did you go to Quidditch tryouts?"

 "Of course I did," he answers. "I couldn't not go. That team needs someone like me."

 You nod. "I'm sure they do. So, you're in, then?"

 "Um...no." He looks a little embarrassed. "Surprisingly, I didn't. Ron Weasley was chosen to be the Keeper instead."

 "Ron Weasley?"

 "I know. Over me, too. Well, Harry Potter is the team captain, and we all know he and Weasley are pals, so that's probably got to do with it. But I thought I did spectacular. Even with my skills, Y/N, my Quidditch skills, Potter still didn't choose me."

 "Well, you did keep up a good attitude, didn't you?" you ask.

 "Of course I did. I told Weasley we ought to have no hard feelings. I even suggested he could introduce me to his friend."

 "Which friend?"

 "Hermione Granger, the brunette he and Potter are always with. She was there watching the tryouts. She's a lovely lady."

 "Is that the one who's always studying and reading?" you ask. "She's top of the class, you know. Seems nice, though, but you might have a hard time working your charms on someone like that."

 "Y/N, all the ladies like me. You must, or you wouldn't be talking to me now, would you?"

 You shrug. "Good point. So, you plan to woo her, then?"

 "I'd certainly like to try. Just because her friends weren't impressed with me doesn't mean she won't be."

 "All right, then," you say. "Good luck with that. Does she know who you are?"

 He raises his eyebrows. "I think all of the ladies know me, Y/N. I'm Cormac McLaggen."

 Something about the way he says makes you giggle.

 "What is it?" he asks.

 "Nothing, nothing," you say. "If you want to charm Hermione Granger, you'd better think about how you're going to do that."

 Despite Cormac's arrogance, you're friends with him, anyway. There's just something about him you've always found amusing.