Selene #3

You sit silently as Selene drives. Who she's trying to outrun this time, you're not sure; you've spent so much time on the run with her that you don't know who to trust anymore. You've helped her fend off attackers left and right, and still she was silent, like she didn't trust either of you enough to talk about anything. 

 "Where are we going next?" you ask.

 "Somewhere far away," she replies shortly.

 "That's not very specific. Do you really have no idea where you're going?"

 "I would be able to if you would stop talking and let me concentrate," she snaps. "Keep a lookout for anyone who might be following us."

 You sigh, and take to staring out of the side-view mirror for a while. Eventually you ask, "You do realize we're practically in the middle of nowhere, yes?"

 "I'm probably better off in the middle of nowhere," she says.

 "Right. So, how many people exactly want to kill you, then?"

 She scoffs. "Too many. So many that I can't even see my daughter. Without her in hiding, and Michael..."

 You know that, during the few times she does talk, Michael and her daughter are two subjects she does her best to avoid. It's too hard to get into.

 "I'm sorry," you say. "I'm sorry all this is happening, and if I'm asking too many questions. I'll stop asking questions if you want me to."

 She sighs. "Y/N, you have no idea how grateful I am for your company. I think you're insane for coming along with me, but I'm grateful, anyway."

 "Well, you're welcome. And it's nice to be having an actual conversation with you. We don't have those too often."

 She scoffs again. "Well, don't get used to it. I've never been much of a talker."