Cedric Diggory #2

Cedric Diggory, your best friend, one of your favorite people in the world, has been entered into the Triwizard Tournament to represent Hogwarts. You have been worrying for him all year.

 You had heard about the tournament before, and you knew people had died in it. During the first task, you were so afraid Cedric would do something to get himself killed, that the dragon would scorch him or something. Then in the second task, you were afraid he would get eaten by whatever was living in the Black Lake. Now the third task is approaching. It's said to be a maze, built over the quidditch field, which no one is happy about since everyone loves quidditch.

 You really don't want Cedric to go into the maze, but you know he has to; he's the Hogwarts contestant. You wish they could just send Harry Potter in on his against Fleur Delacour and Viktor Krum, since he's also a Hogwarts student, but there doesn't seem to be a way Cedric can drop out.

~~~~~~

 The night before the day of third task, there's a lot of partying going on in the Hufflepuff Common Room. Everyone is so sure Cedric is going to win this thing. The other students are crowding him, so you don't really get a chance to talk to him until the partying is over and everyone is going to bed.

 "Can I talk to you?" you ask him.

 "Of course. What's wrong, Y/N? You don't look well."

 "I'm fine," you say. "It's you I'm worried about. Cedric, I don't want you to go into that maze tomorrow."

 He sighs. "Y/N, you know-"

 "I know you have to do it," you cut in. "You're our Hogwarts champion. But I have a very bad feeling about this, Cedric."

 "That's what you said about the first two tasks," he points out.

 "Yeah, I know. But I really mean it this time, mate. I really wish you didn't have to go."

 He looks around the common room, as if to make sure no one is listening in. "Can I tell you something? I really don't want to go in, either. I didn't even think I was going to get in. I sort of did it for the fun of it, you know? Made me look pretty heroic."

 "Cedric, you know you're not a bragger."

 "No, I'm not. But I think everyone just sort of expected me to enter. But I can't back out now. I've got to be brave about it. I'm going to try to win this thing, and then I'll really the Hogwarts champion. I might be in history books someday. That would probably impress Cho."

 "Cho? Do you mean Cho Chang?"

 He nods. "Yeah. I think I'm in love with her, Y/N. No, I know I'm in love with her. I'm going to tell her once the third task is over, whether I win or not."

 "Oh. Well, if you're going to win, I guess you'd better go get some sleep."

 He hugs you before going up to the boys' dormitory. "I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N. I promise I'm gonna be careful."

 Cho Chang, you think. He's in love her Cho Chang.

 After all this time, he still doesn't know how much you love him.