22

- We had our special places.

I find the most heartbreaking thing about endings to be how it never truly ends for some people. You'll still see their faces in places you used to go to together. 

You'll tell yourself you're over it, then have a breakdown in the place where the memories of the two of you still live. The place becomes beautifully haunting in a way that takes you back to the old days.

I saw that building and remembered my teenage years that went to dust after you left. I remembered every corner, the table we sat on in the corner near that ugly commercial piece of art.

The memories came flooding back, taking my breath away for a moment, before I noticed and regained composure. I was surprised it still hurt. It felt like pressing on an almost healed scar. 

I eventually went back there after a week, convincing myself I was able to face my past and rebuild on its ruins. I had to start somewhere. I had to make happy memories in the most heartbreaking places. I was stronger now, and I knew I deserved something better.

I was able to make changes, one step at a time, until these places didn't have the same effect on me. I kept going there until I forgot the conversations we had there, or the fights elsewhere. I forgot the jokes, the smiles and my attachment to you. 

You were becoming mundane on every level, starting with the places we spent years in. And I held on to the hope that one day, I would go to these places, and you won't be the first person that crosses my mind there. Or at least, the memory of you wouldn't hurt the same anymore.