19

- Had a bully for a friend.

I chose to turn a blind eye on the emotional abuse disguised as a joke I was surrounded with. I had a history with bullying, and ironically enough, with the help of puberty, I went from being bullied to being friends with bullies.

Well, that was until I stopped using my rose-colored glasses to describe you and started basing my opinion on your actions. I began to look at you the way one person would look faced with danger. I had to stop being close with you to see your true colors, and saw how you lacked the qualifications of a friend.

Turns out I didn't like you one bit; I only liked the idea of you.

I had to distance myself to see you for what you truly were, a damaged person that finds peace by hurting others. That made me realize I didn't hate you, I pitied you. 

I realized that being a witness to the bullying going around, and not doing anything about it, is just as bad as doing the deed. I started standing up to the people that couldn't defend themselves, the ones that reminded me of an older version of me.

I forgive you for the hurt you've caused me, but that doesn't mean I'll allow you to get a chance at bringing me down. You had an ally, through it all, but I was far away from a doormat. 

If you didn't respect me, you would have to be intimidated by me. Those were the only two options I gave people, and you were no different.

I hope you learnt your lesson with me, and me leaving and choosing myself makes you regret ever playing games with a genuine friend. 

I just had to hope you wouldn't go around hurting other people the same way anymore, after this friendship scarred us both. I'll always remember the likes of you whenever I'll encounter bullies in life, and I'll try to not stray from my morals anymore and do the right things.

Bullying was not, and would never be okay.