21

- Another heartbreaking story.

She never loved him.

People always talked about dominant men and forgot to mention dominant women.
She had one rule from the start, and that was changing him in the name of love.

She was unable to love another, because she never loved herself. He believed she was his one true love from day one. He loved how she seemed to challenge him and constantly push him away. He was willing to do anything to win her over, even if it meant being less of himself.

Everything about him annoyed her. She thrived to be with a perfect partner, failing to see that it was impossible to find perfection, and that true love had its imperfections. 

He changed everything about himself. He became a quiet thinker over time, each joke dying on his tongue before it came out. She disliked guys who joked around and thought less of them.

He did a lot of things to try to please her, shutting his spirit along the way. He was convinced she was good for him, when all she really did was criticize everything that made him who he was. He didn't know what healthy love was like, and chose a partner that gave him the same type of toxic love he was used to.

Day after day, he succumbed into the dark pit of her criticism, making himself some kind of slave to her affection, because she made him believe that's how lovers were. But love wasn't meant to break you, love was meant to build you into a stronger and better version of yourself.

He would never truly realize that what they had was a trauma bond, and that he wasted his years on a love he would never truly earn.