The fire

Sirens blared from down the street and an orange glow flooded through my window causing me to shoot up in bed. The clock read 2:33 am and my girlfriend had left multiple messages and voicemails on my phone.
Without wasting another moment I hurried out of bed and into some clothes before I rushed out of the house.
My breath hitched in my throat when I saw the house across the street from me up in flames. The house that also happened to belong to my girlfriend. My eyes scanned the scene until I found her in a heap on the sidewalk. I felt my heart rate pick up as I forced my feet to move.
When I reached y/n I got down on my knees next to her and placed my hand on her shaking arm.
I gasped when I pulled my hand back to find it covered in blood.
"Baby" I said softly. "You're hurt"
Without wasting another moment, I slipped my arms under her knees and around her back before lifting her off the ground.
"Put me down Michael" she groaned.
"I'm getting you help sweetheart" I told her.
"I don't want it" y/n whispered.
"You need help y/n" I said softly. "You're bleeding"
"I don't want help Michael" y/n yelled. "I just want my mom"
"Then I'll find your mom okay?" I told her gently.
"Good luck with that. She's dead" I saw the tears start to fall down her cheeks as the words left her mouth.
Before I could respond y/n was taken from my arms and placed on a gurney. Anther paramedic grabbed my arm as he hopped into the back of the ambulance. I watched them start to address her burns and wounds for a minute before I turned my attention to y/n.
"I'm so sorry about your mom baby girl" I said quietly to her as she reached for my hand.
"I love you" she whispered before she let her eyes close.
-
I held the small stuffed teddy bear in my hands as I followed the doctor down the hallway.
After sitting in the hospital all night, y/n was finally out of the intensive care unit and was allowed visitors.
The doctor finally stopped at a door and motioned to it with a smile.
"This is her room Michael. There's a little red button next to her bed, push it if anything goes wrong" the doctor said.
I watched him walk back down the hallway before I stepped into y/n's hospital room. My eyes immediately fell on the bandages covering her arms and even parts of her stomach.
"Oh baby girl" I whispered, walking over to her. I pulled a chair up next to her hospital bed and tucked the teddy bear into her arm.
Y/n whimpered at my touch and squeezed her eyes shut.
"Hey hey" I said softly, lightly touching her hand. "Its okay, I'm here now"
"Mikey" y/n whispered. She tightened her grip on my hand as a small smile formed on her lips.
"Hi sweetheart, how are you?" I questioned.
"Just in pain and numb at the same time" y/n whispered.
I leant forward and pressed my lips against her forehead.
"We'll get through this I promise" I whispered, resting my forehead on hers.