He's a police officer

I was just putting the last of my papers away in the filing cabinet when the phone rang. It was very late, after midnight, so I was slightly confused.
"Hello?" I answered, sitting down again.
"Emergency" I heard a girl pant.
"What's your emergency?" I asked. I leaned forward and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen.
"Emergency" she repeated, louder this time.
"What kind of emergency? Are you hurt? In trouble? What's wrong?" I asked.
"Someone's in my house, they're coming upstairs. I hear them, help" I could tell she was crying.
"Address quickly" I said as I arranged for an ambulance and another cop to get ready.
I told them her address then raced out to my car.
When we arrived at the house it was pitch black inside. But I could hear screaming inside. I pulled my gun out of my belt and went up to the door. To my surprise, it was already open. Me and the other cop quietly entered, following the sound of the screaming. It lead us upstairs.
We walked in right as the guy slapped the girl I had guessed made the phone call. I went over and pulled the guy off. He immediately stood up to attack me, leaving me no choice but to shoot. The paramedics came and took him while I moved to the girl.
"What's your name?" I asked gently.
"Y/n" she stuttered out between cries.
"Hi y/n, you're ok now. That man won't be causing you anymore trouble. Are you hurt?" I questioned.
"No" she whispered.
"Would you mind coming down to the police station? We need you to help us fill out a report on what happened and we would like the paramedics just to check to make sure you're not hurt" My partner Josh said.
I placed my hand on the small of y/n's back as we walked outside. I stayed with her while the paramedics did their check then Josh and I drove her to the police station. We were there till almost 2am. I felt terrible for making y/n go through all this especially after what had just happened.
She looked exhausted and she was still shaking.
"That's all" I smiled, putting the report with my other ones from today.
"C'mon, I'll give you a ride home" I said softly.
I couldn't stop myself from hugging her. She looked absolutely terrified to go home.
That wasn't the last time I saw y/n. We ran into each other again at a store and went out to lunch. That day we exchanged phone numbers and agreed to go see a movie sometime. I asked her to be my girlfriend after that.
We stayed together for two years before moving in together.
"Babe I'm home" I called, hanging up my jacket. I kicked off my shoes before I went to find her.
"In here"
Her voice sounded hoarse like she had been crying.
"Are you all right sweetie?" I questioned.
She had her back to me, her knuckles turning white from the grip she held on the counter.
"Honey what's wrong?" I lightly touched her shoulder causing her to flinch.
I wrapped my hand around y/n's wrist and pried it off the counter so I could turn her around.
"What is it?" I whispered, bringing my hand up to cup her cheek.
"He came back" she whispered into my chest.
"Who?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowed.
"Oh" I suddenly said.
The guy that had broken into y/n's house a few years ago just got released from prison a few days ago. Just the thought of him being anywhere near my girl sent anger boiling through veins.
"You're positive it was him?" I checked.
"Yes. It's the same face that's haunted my dreams for 3 years" she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut.
"Shh" I hushed, smoothing down her hair. I kissed the top of her head and tightened my grip on her.
"He won't hurt you again babe, I promise"
My body stiffened when I heard a smash from the other room.
I pushed y/n behind me when I heard the footsteps coming towards us.
A face I recognized even after three years appeared in the kitchen. The man smirked as came closer.
"Y/n" he crooned, "It's so lovely to see you again"
I felt y/n grab my hand as she pressed her face into my back.
I pulled my hand away and stepped closer to the man. It was the worst mistake I ever made because the distant between us gave him the chance to shoot y/n.
I heard y/n whimpering when I entered the bedroom. She had been calling my name which caused me to come up here.
"Babe" I murmured, brushing the strands of hair off of her face.
"Wake up baby, you're ok" I whispered.
Y/n shot up, taking in a sharp breath as she did.
"Hey" I mumbled, kissing down her neck.
"What were you dreaming about?" I questioned although I knew the answer.
"Him again" she shook her head, "Except this time I dreamed of how we met too" she smiled.
"You'd know I'd never let him hurt you right?" I said, "I saved you from him once and I'll surely do it again"
"Thanks Mikey" she sighed, relaxing against my chest.
When I was certain y/n had fallen asleep, I laid her down again and pulled the covers back over her. I scribbled out a note before I left to work the night shift again.