Broken ribs

"Y/n I'm so sorry" I whispered against her forehead. I gripped her hips tighter and tried to bring her closer to me.

Before she could respond the door was busted down. I pushed y/n behind me and kept my arm in front of her. Three men stood in the doorway looking between the two of us.

"Get her" One yelled.

I fisted his jacket and pushed him back before he could get to y/n. I pushed him back into one of the other guys.

I was too occupied dodging kicks and punches from those two guys to notice that the other one had moved towards y/n.

I turned my attention back to the other two and punched him in the face. He fell back and hit his head on the corner of the table and then again on the ground.

The other guy charged at me and pushed me up against the wall. I brought my knee up and rammed it as hard as I could into his stomach. When he stumbled back, it gave me the perfect chance to punch him in the face. He ended up next to the other guy, unconscious.

I spun around to find the last man around his arm around y/n's neck. Her nails dug into his arm trying to pry his arm off.

I ran towards her but before I could stop him, he had brought his other arm around to punch her right in the ribs.

I heard several cracks and a blood curdling scream from y/n as she was thrown to the floor.

Anger boiled inside me as I rammed him against the wall. I kneed his stomach and punched him a few times before I threw him to the ground.

As my heavy panting slowed back to normal, I suddenly became aware of the sound of y/n screaming in pain.

"Babe" I shouted, spinning back around. I dropped to my knees and gently placed my hands on either side of her body.

"Where does it hurt baby girl?" I asked her softly.

Y/n squeezed her eyes shut tightly as her hand hovered over the right side of her rib cage. I could already tell from the way she was acting that she had broken ribs.

Another scream escaped her lips and tears had started to fall down her cheeks.

"Shh baby girl" I whispered, cupping her cheek.

I brushed my thumb across her cheek as I pulled out my phone to call an ambulance. I would have drove her to the hospital myself but I didn't want to risk moving her and causing more pain and damage.

"Michael" she whispered, gripping onto my wrist.

"I'm here love, what is it?" I questioned.

"Who were they?" She struggled to get each word out. I could tell how much she was struggling to breath.

"That hurts" she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut again.

"I'm sorry" I mumbled, sliding my hand back down to her hip.

"Baby don't cry" I said, "You're only making it harder to breath"

"I can't" she stuttered. Her pleading eyes stared up into mine as she winced again.

I started to brush my thumb across her cheek again and on her hip as I quietly hummed one of her favorite songs. I did everything I could to try to distract her until the paramedics showed up.

"I love you baby girl" I whispered before the paramedics reached us.

They lifted her up as carefully as possible before placing her on the gurney.

"No Michael" y/n whispered, trying to reach for me.

"Come with us" one of the paramedics smiled at me as he spoke.

"Thank you" I whispered.

I got in the ambulance next to y/n and placed my hand on her arm. Y/n had her eyes shut as the paramedics started to put an IV in her wrist.

There was nothing they could do for her until we got to the hospital because they weren't sure what ribs she broke. They could only give her medicine for the pain.

It was almost an hour later that I was sitting next to her hospital bed, holding her hand, as a doctor showed us the pictures from her x-ray.

"We'll give you a cast for it and you can go home tomorrow" The doctor explained.

"Thank you" I mumbled, giving him a small smile.

He nodded once before he left the room. Once he was gone I moved closer to y/n and brought my hand up to her cheek.

"Hey baby girl, you okay?" I asked softly.

"Michael who were those guys?" She asked instead.

I sighed before deciding that I owed her an explanation. It was my fault that she was here.

"It was a gang I joined before I met you. I left to be with you. I never imagined that would ever find you and hurt you like this" I shook my head. "I'm so sorry"

She bit her lip and looked up at the ceiling. "So this could happen again?"

"No, I'll spend my whole life making sure it doesn't" I responded, softly kissing her forehead.

I pulled away when the doctor came back in. It took a while and a lot of crying on y/n's part before the cast was on her.

The doctor apologized multiple times as he put the cast on her and before he left the room.

I gently held her arm and helped her lay back down. I brushed my thumb across her cheek, brushing away a few of her tears.

"I'm sorry baby girl" I whispered.

She nodded slightly as her hand searched for mine. I laced our fingers together and kissed the back of her hand.

"Can I get you anything?" I questioned.

"I'm fine" she choked out.

I sighed sadly before kissing her forehead again.