"At midnight"

"Are you kidding me? You haven't found anything?" I asked angrily into the phone.

"No, we're very sorry" The lady replied.

I sighed and slammed the phone down. 3 weeks. 3 weeks y/n had been waiting for them to tell her something. Anything.

I just wanted y/n to have a little piece of mind. It had been three weeks since I had received the call. I remembered hearing her cry through the phone and I remember pleading her to tell me what was wrong.

It wasn't until I got to her house that I found out someone had broken in and tried to kill her before they killed her father. She had watched a man shoot her father and now she was watching as that man got away with it.

In the whole three weeks no one at the police station had been able to find any suspects or get any new leads.

Y/n had been staying at my house ever since that night. She had only been back to her house once since then and she had a breakdown as soon as she walked in.

I was sitting on the couch, staring out the window, when y/n's scream broke through the silence. I stiffened on the couch and listened more closely. I could hear her calling my name over and over again.

Without a second thought, I pushed myself off the couch and raced up the stairs.

"Baby baby wake up" I said, holding down her thrashing arms.

Y/n suddenly bolted up right. A thin layer of sweat coated her forehead and the only sound in the room was her sporadic breathing.

"Hey I'm here" I said softly, caressing her cheek with the tips of my fingers. "I'm here"

A strangled sound of pain escaped her lips as tears poured out of her eyes.

I loosened my grip on her arms and brought her into my lap. I cradled her against my chest and let her tears soak through my shirt.

"Shh" I hushed into her hair, rocking her gently from side to side.

Y/n had my shirt fisted in her hand as sobs rocked through her body.

"Do you need anything babe?" I asked, pushing her away so I could see her face.

Her eyes were red and swollen and her cheeks were covered in tears.

She barely shook her head before laying against my chest again. I brought my hands up to her hair and combed through it with my fingers.

I quietly hummed one of her favorite songs as her breathing slowly came back to normal.

Her fingers traced small shapes on my chest as we continued to sit on the bed.

"What are you doing up so late?" She questioned.

"I had to stay at work later than normal and I was on the phone" I explained.

Y/n nodded and focused her attention on the patterns she was tracing on my chest again.

"You gave me a heart attack babe" I chuckled.

I dipped my head down to look into her eyes as a small smile formed on her lips.

"Sorry" she mumbled.

"Are you tired?" I questioned.

"Not really" She admitted.

"Lets go make cookie" I said.

"At midnight?" Y/n smiled.

"Why not" I laughed.

I stood up and kept her in my arms as I walked back downstairs and into the kitchen.

I set y/n on the counter before I went to get all the things we needed to make cookies.

Y/n hopped off the counter and started measuring out some of the ingredients.

I stood behind her and played with some of her hair while I watched her.

Almost an hour later y/n and I sat on the counter, dunking the cookies we made into milk as we talked and blasted Green Day from my phone.