Sister

The phone clattered on the table as I dropped it. I rubbed my hands over my face and sighed. I already had tears in my eyes and I hadn't even told y/n yet. I knew she wouldn't take this well.
"Daddy come play with me" Madison whined, while pulling on my sleeve.
"I have to go talk to mommy now" I told her, while lifting her onto my knee.
"No you have to play with me now" she yelled.
"Color by yourself for a bit and then we can play" I smiled, kissing her nose. I moved her onto the chair next to me and passed her the coloring book and crayons. Y/n was playing with our other daughter Katy on the floor when I walked in the living room.
"Sweetheart can we talk?" I asked quietly.
"Sure" she smiled, pushing herself off the floor. I lead her down the hall so the children couldn't hear us.
"What is it?"
"I have some bad news" I sighed.
"What?" Her voice cracked. "Michael you're crying" I felt her thumb brush across my cheek.
"I know" I wiped my cheeks then took ahold of her hands. "Your sister just died"
"What? No" she said in disbelief.
"She was driving home and got hit by a drunk driver. She died on impact" I repeated what her mother had said.
"No" she whispered. Her knees buckled and she fell into my arms. "She can't-" She couldn't finish the sentence.
"I'm sorry baby girl" I mumbled into the top of her head. I laid my head on hers as the tears fell from my eyes again. Her sister and I were really close too. We always worked together to plan surprise birthday parties for y/n and for our kids after they were born. But we didn't have the same connection that she had with y/n. When we were dating, they would go out together every Saturday but after the kids were born, they couldn't do that as much. She also helped with the kids while I was on tour. So this crushed y/n. I kept y/n close and traced shapes on her back until she stopped crying.
"Your mom wants to talk to you" I mumbled.
"I'm gonna go call her then" she nodded, heading for the stairs. While she did that I played with the kids for a little while then put them to bed.
"Hey y/n" I whispered into the darkness of our bedroom. I pushed the hair off her face and kissed her forehead. I moved the phone off the bed then laid down next to her.
"I love you" I whispered intertwining our fingers. "You didn't deserve this at all but I know you can get past it" I rolled over and kissed her forehead again then wrapped my arms around her.