43: looking over the aftermath

Written April 27 2016

Edited January 17 2020

Reborn waited by the brunette's side, listening to the sounds of nature around them. He wasn't planning on dragging the unconscious boy, yet he also knew that he shouldn't abandon him either.

'Unlike my first student, Tsuna seems to have had enemies from the very start'

His inner flame had eventually calmed to a gentle hum, the hitman guessed that it was as calm as it would get until he left the clearing that was still dripping with sky harmony.

It impressed him that the harmony factor could linger within the air for so long.

'If I ever get Nono to meet Tsuna, he'll switch his chosen heir to Tsuna instead of Baka-Ie'

The tiny hitman smirked as he imagined the old man's reaction to meeting the current Tsuna.

'I'd need Leon to record it for me...'

*

Eventually, by the time that the sun had begun to lower, a soft whine escaped from the brunette.

'So he's close to consciousness...'

"Oi lazy-Tsuna, get up"

Reborn called as he threw a rock carefully towards the fallen boy, he didn't want to knock him out again after all.

Bleary honey eyes slowly opened to reveal a slightly groggy expression.

"Mmmmm oh Reborn...."

The teen mumbled sleepily, acknowledging the hitman's presence.

'He even has manors while half asleep, good for unexpected meetings'

"Wake up fully lazy-Tsuna, you've been unconscious for hours"

Reborn sighed, honey eyes looked at him blankly before widening, by the look on the teen's face, he was recalling what had happened.

"Ah! T-the flame and then the..... Pain!"

Tsuna muttered, the hitman hit the teen on the head for stuttering, though he kinda didn't blame him.

"Yes, you tried to call upon your flames, which you succeeded in doing so"

The tiny hitman confirmed, unease seemed to fill the brunette.

"I succeeded?..... So that will always happen?...."

'Ah he's afraid of that happening again...'

Tsuna's voice was soft, bordering on a slight tremble. Leon moved from his perch on the hitman's fedora and curled up onto the teen's lap.

"No.... At least hopefully not. You succeeded in pulling out your flames, however for some reason they discharged into the surrounding area"

Reborn stated as he motioned towards the charred grass below them.

"Ah I see..... What went wrong?"

Tsuna questioned softly, the hitman lowered his fedora to hide his frown.

"I don't know, you did everything perfectly, yet your flames erupted from you like a broken faucet..... Do you have any idea as to what would cause a latent power within you to build up such pressure?"