114. Melting

1020 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own KHR~

Written April 12 2021
Posted April 14 2021
NEXT UPDATE is on April 28 2021

Ie was finally starting to get the hang of talking and eating with his fangs present, it had been a few days since he'd last bit himself. The young lightning was actually quite pleased with the progress since messing up had actually hurt quite a bit.

The teen sighed, wiping away the sweat that'd collected on his brow as he'd shovelled the newly fallen snow into more appropriate places. Despite the presence of new snow, the mountains had become a bit warmer than normal. It actually felt odd to be feeling so hot when he was literally surrounded by snow. Ie was grateful that he wasn't as bad off as the normal residents of the small town... That he still didn't know the name of.

'It's too late to ask without looking like an idiot, I should have asked at the start'

"Ie-sensei..." Maya trudged over, the young girl slouching dramatically "I'm dying, the weather is too hot" She whined.

Ie raised a brow "What do you expect me to do about it?" He stuck his shovel into the ground, leaning on it as he continued "I can't change the weather you know"

'Not to mention that it only feels hot because it's been so cold lately...'

"Let me play without my coat!" Maya demanded, standing straight with her hands on her hips "It's hot and I'm dying"

Wincing, Ie shook his head "You can't, you'll catch a chill from your sweat and get sick" He really wanted to remove his own winter clothes, thankfully the ones he was currently wearing were less warm than what he'd been wearing beforehand "Go inside if you're too hot, at least then you wouldn't be wearing your snowsuit" If he gave permission and Maya ended up getting sick, he'd have to deal with her parents because he doubted that Fon would.

'Now that I think about it... I haven't done much flame training since arriving in this town... I also still don't know why I've been tasked with teaching children'

Maya huffed, cheeks puffing out angrily "I want to play outside"

Ie sighed "Then play outside"

"It's too hot"

"Then I don't know how to help you" Ie replied, his lesson couldn't be about patience, it would have already ended if that were the case. Dealing with young children, well it was really tedious at times.

'At least the others are behaving for now'

"You can help by letting me remove my coat" Maya argued, arms now crossed against her chest.

"I will be punished if I do that" If Maya ended up getting sick from it.

"I'll punish you!" The girl quickly formed a snowball and flung it at Ie's face.

"... Still no" Ie sighed, having not bothered to dodge. A snowball was nothing compared to being flung into walls.

Maya scowled "I will do worse!" She glanced around "Next time I'll use yellow snow!"

"Then I'll tell your parents and then you'll get punished" Thank god dogs weren't allowed in the play area, Maya wouldn't have access to yellow snow.

'I was probably worse than she is at her age...'

*

"I don't want to be a teacher when I grow up" Ie sighed as he flopped onto a pile of snow, sinking into it without a care. School was out, so now he was to rest until Fon gave him a task "It's too much work"

Fon smirked from afar, amused at the young lightning's antics. Ie seemed more mellow now that he was no longer freaking out about his fangs. He watched as Ie jolted to a seated position after a strange rumble echoed through the mountains.

'Sudden warm weather... It's as I expected'

"Run to the entrance and keep going"

Ie jumped, startled by the storm arcobaleno's sudden presence "What?" He looked at Fon, confused "What happened?"

"Hurry or the avalanche will bury everyone" Fon breathed, a calm smile on his face.

'It took longer than I thought it would'

*

Brown widened "What?!" Avalanche?! "I can't!" His complaint was cut short when Fon gave him a look. Ie scrambled to his feet before running where he'd been told to go.

'Why am I listening?! If he's right everyone should run!'

"Do you expect me to stop it or something?!" Ie didn't see anything yet so he kept running.

"You will, otherwise everyone will die" Fon replied calmly "Use your flames and shield the town"

Ie stumbled, barely stopping himself from falling "I've barely done any training recently!" His voice was shrill with fear "I'll kill someone if I use too much flames!"

'They were wasting time... People could have started to evacuate by now!'

"They'll die anyways" Fon was still smiling and it was starting to piss Ie off.

A strangled noise escaped Ie as the mentioned avalanche came into view "I can't do this!" But if he didn't... Everyone would die, including his annoying students... A flurry of lightning sprang from the panicked teen, both condensing and spreading up and behind Ie.

'I can't... I can't...'

He was so scared.

'I'm not ready!'

*

Fon watched in mild awe as Ie's flames spread and formed a dome around the small town just like how he'd seen the boy make small spheres in his hands. He hadn't expected the shape to be so precise.

'My backup plan won't be needed it seems'

Ie was shaking, and crying as the vibrant green lightning flames continued to stand strong. Ie's eyes were screwed shut with desperate concentration, the pressure was almost too much. He needed to stop. He couldn't stop. His skin felt all tingly, even raw as he fought back against the pressure "I can't..." Ie sobbed, terrified. The lightning user fell to his knees, flames still going strong.

"You can, and you are" Fon stated confidently.

'You will use your flames to protect, and realize that you have better control than you think...'

The point was to eradicate Ie's fear of his flames' aggressive appearance and to realize that he'd only cause harm if he meant to.

"Help..." Ie's voice was small as he passed out. A group of hidden mafioso suddenly sprang out and combined their efforts to shield the town from the tail end of the avalanche.

"Thank you" Fon gave a small bow.

'They'll be gone when Ie awakens...'

Me: Ie's control is better than Tsuna's... A lot better, his problem was mostly mental so Fon... Threw him to the wolves... Oh god, poor Ie... Suddenly having an avalanche thrown at him? One that he has to stop?... 

Well I know that I'd be freaking out in his position

Hope you enjoyed~