75.2. Unprecedented - Part 2

Erik and Gotrid realise there's only one free chair left by my side because Liana automatically occupies the seat to my right. They stare at each other with pursed lips for a few moments and then look at me to decide.

"Sorry, Gotrid, but I need Erik right now," I say. "Having my human partner be seen next to me will be comforting for many."

"I know," Gotrid pouts a little and demands to be kissed before he settles for a chair next to Liana.

We adjusted the fanciest conference room in the skyscraper for this historic event and it was decided that while the camera will primarily focus on me, Liana and Erik, it will occasionally show the Ministers sitting around the table. Humans and Draconians alike need to see that we have a fully functioning government now.

Diplomatic negotiations are rarely streamed online, but I wanted the whole world to be present. I want everyone to see that we're open to peace talks and transparent, but, at the same time, there's no messing with us. We have to secure our position once and for all so that we can finally focus on fighting monsters and investigating rifts.

I look at Liana and her expression is confident, but she feels tense inside. Despite her rather bossy personality, she's glad that the final decision isn't up to her. I expect at least some level of panic to overcome me, but nothing happens. Sure, I'm nervous, but there are no doubts in my mind anymore. I'm the Celestial Emperor and I'll do anything in my power to protect my people.

Ingri, who's behind the camera, shows me a thumbs-up which means that we started streaming. Just a few seconds after that the projector lights up and President Behera appears as a hologram.

"Your Majesty, thank you for your patience," she starts and looks like someone who hasn't slept for two days which she probably hasn't.

"Mrs President," I nod respectfully.

When she was taking care of us during the conference, she might have been overly cautious around us, but she never wronged us. In fact, it was Mrs Behera who sought me after the conference and begged me to stay open. She deserves a chance I'm more than willing to give her.

"First of all, I want to assure you that the former President Delgado acted without the consent of the Senate," President Behera claims strongly. "Most of the government, me included, had no idea what he was planning to do."

"Hacking a Korean military satellite would require tremendous resources and spies," Liana purses her lips, not convinced. "He couldn't have pulled it all by himself."

"He didn't, Delgado had the support of several highest-ranking military officers and four Secretaries," President Behera admits surprisingly honestly. "Three of the main culprits are dead, the rest arrested for treason."

"Dead, including your ex-president," I narrow my eyes in suspicion. "How did that happen?"

"When we found out Delgado fired those missiles, we went to arrest him immediately," Behera says slowly, weighing every word. "He barricaded himself in the Oval Office with those most loyal to him. It was obvious he didn't expect that the attacks would fail. He must have thought that he would become a hero if he succeeded and all would be forgiven."

The new President pauses for a second or two. She genuinely acts like someone who became the President by totally unprecedented circumstances, is seriously sleep deprived and the fate of her country rests on the result of our diplomatic negotiation. I can't help it and find myself sympathising with her.

"There was a fierce fight between a part of the Secret Service that was loyal to Delgado and those who clearly saw his actions as treason," Behera continues. "For a few minutes, the White House became a battlefield which never happened before in our long democratic history. Delgado was killed when he refused to surrender. We tried to arrest him, but he was holding a gun and was firing around like crazy. I think he lost it when he realised that his plan had failed."