5.2. Meeting IRL - Part 2

I take another dose of painkillers and try to sleep some more to pull myself together. I wouldn't go to school in such a state but I must somehow get to our meeting point which isn't exactly near from my apartment. The alarm wakes me at nine so that I have time for a long shower. I got sweaty again as my fever didn't go down a notch. I try cold water instead of hot and it relieves the back pain somewhat.

Even with painkillers doing their magic, a cold shower and a nap I feel shitty and must look like a zombie. Just to be safe, I bring some plastic bags in case I puke again. I put on my usual gaming clothes—it's not like I own anything else than that. I'm glad that the hoodie hides my whitening hair. No need to look weirder than I already do.

I find an empty seat at the back of the train and collapse on it. There're three more people sitting but they stand up and run away from me, probably not wanting to catch what I presumably have. Do I really look that horrible? Anyway, less direct emotions which is good.

Since the journey to the centre is at least 35 minutes before changing for a tram, I go over possible scenarios in my head so that I won't focus that much on what people around me are feeling. All of my theories turn out really pessimistic. Hopefully, I'm just over-thinking as always. There must be a reasonable explanation to all of this.

The developers must have messed up some settings in the VR helmets which came through with the new update. Our brains got confused and started weird processes in our bodies which caused some kind of psychosomatic illness. Yes, it's purely psychosomatic; I don't want to even think about tumours.

At the main train station, I have to change to an old fashioned tram. Old Town is considered a UNESCO treasure so the government is trying to keep it as historical as possible.

While waiting at the tram stop and focusing on not collapsing on the pavement, I notice a girl with turbulent emotions of fear. She can't be more than seventeen years old and is wearing a lolita dress. Lots of girls are into that kind of fashion lately, it's undergoing a renaissance or something.

Normally I don't respond to other person's feelings—how would I explain that I can feel them in the first place?—but that girl is so scared that I have to do something. Feeling shitty myself is no excuse.

Then I notice that she has a Draconia logo key ring hanging on her backpack. I gasp for breath. Of course, I feel so concerned because her feelings are the same as mine right now. She's also a Draconia player.

"H-hi, sorry to bother you," I try speaking in Czech because she looks like a local.

The girl flinches. I probably look suspicious in my hoodie and face mask.

"I noticed your key ring," I add quickly. "I also play Draconia and, well... I feel really weird and I guess you too?"

Her eyes widen. "Y-yes," she says timidly.

I look around but everybody's minding their own business and there's nobody standing too close to us.

"My immersion level has been dropping and a few hours ago I've lost my immersion ability completely. Overall, I don't feel okay."

The girl nods furiously.

"I play as an Earthborn," she whispers. "What's happening? I've been looking at the game forums but everyone's just panicking and the developers have no idea so far. I'm scared to tell my parents, they would take my helmet away from me forever. They're against VR as it is."

"Listen," I continue, surprised that I'm actually talking to an unknown girl with such ease. "I have a meeting with two other players. It's in a restaurant in Old Town. You can join me if you want."