48.3. In Between - Part 3

Erik keeps frowning the whole way to the lounge and puts on a forced smile only when the door opens and we're facing our visitors. It's three women and two men. Erik is very extroverted so I'm sure he has more friends than this so either the rest of them wasn't free this time or... he lost a lot of his so-called 'friends' because he's dating me.

They bow to me and it's quite cringy but polite enough. I don't tell them they don't have to. Actually, I think they should. They have no direct connection to me and I'm the Emperor. When did I become someone who thinks like that? But I don't mind. I'm proud to be who I am.

After basic formalities, we sit down and Erik, being really good at social events, starts the conversation right away. I'm glad he does because I'm more interested in analysing his friends telepathically. It's been some time since I've faced so many humans at once.

I was at ease when Erik's parents visited, I even tried to negotiate that I don't need my guards present inside. But this time is different. I'm glad that my bodyguards are here with me and I'm glad that so many.

Erik's friends are not bad people, they're really not. But they're far from the kind Anderles who love their son unconditionally so they decided to accept me unconditionally as well. These people have too many mixed emotions when they look at us. Curiosity, fear, envy, slight disgust, fascination... you name it.

They pretend to chat merrily but I see how they're eyeing Erik's expensive watch and brand suit. How they're envious of his shoes when real leather costs a small fortune these days. How they're looking... at me. Only two of them are truly interested in Erik as a person and their friend. The rest is here just for the spectacle.

If the security didn't confiscate their phone, they'd be taking countless pictures of me and everything around. I see their fingers twitching and reaching into empty pockets too many times. But Erik seems happy around his kind. He's asking many questions and his smile widens. He's relaxed.

Originally, I wanted to stay for a full hour but I don't think I'll manage. I don't feel comfortable. I want out.

"Sorry, I forgot there's a document I have to finish today," I stand up, slowly on purpose so that it doesn't look like I'm running away.

"So soon?" Erik blinks, confused, and checks his watch.

"Sorry, love, it slipped my mind," I smile apologetically, hoping I'm not being too obvious. "Have fun, okay? Stay as long as you wish."

"Oh, what a pity!" one of the women says disappointedly. "We were hoping you'd tell us more, Your Majesty."

About what exactly? And what does she plan to do with that I information? Put it on social media and boast that she met me?

"We hope to see you again," she bows but then she hesitates and stretches her palm to me.

I'm staring at it for a while. A handshake isn't a Celestial custom and definitely not when it comes to the royal protocol. The woman chews her lip when I don't move. She wants to touch the Celestial Emperor and tell stories about it. I don't want to give her that satisfaction but Erik starts to worry if everything's okay. He doesn't understand why I won't do it. So I do. For him.

His Majesty is really beautiful but he gives me goosebumps, her immediate thought hits me. Damn, I hoped to touch his wings.

I don't jerk away only through sheer willpower. Now that I shook her hand, the others also line up for a handshake, thinking it's okay. Erik is watching me so I force myself.

I didn't know Erik was such a gold-digger. The Celestial Emperor must be loaded.

What's sex with a Celestial like? I wonder how often they fuck and do wings get in the way?