25.3. What Remains Human - Part 3

We start with revising basic level 1 spells and it turns out we pretty much mastered them. Liana and me can confidently cast all elements, except for the earth, of course. Only when it comes to water, we can't make it out of nothing in the real world but instead control existing liquid.

"Niiice," Liana produces three water bubbles and plays with them in the air.

"So is the incantation necessary or not?" Julia asks, watching us from some distance.

"When you're learning the spell, it seems to help a lot," I say. "When you master it and can concentrate properly, you don't need to speak it anymore. But it might be necessary for high-level spells that require a long preparation. We'll see."

"Are you moving the bubbles with water magic or telekinesis?" Julia continues her interrogation.

"Hmm... hard to say actually," Liana says, loses her concentration for a second and water splashes onto the ground. No harm done, the place was adjusted for this kind of purpose.

"Maybe all magic is just an application of our telekinesis?" I suggest. "It's still difficult for me to accept that such a fairy-tale concept as magic."

"You do have mana, though," Julia remarks.

"Mana... pure energy... call it whatever," I shrug. "It can have a scientific explanation, right? Just as my telepathy is simply an advanced ability of my mutated brain."

"Don't call it simple, Aefener," Julia rolls her eyes. "There's nothing simple about it."

"Heya!" Liana tries pulling one of the weights up. "Damn, that's hard!" she whines and the weight falls down with a loud thump. "How much is it?"

"Ten kilos," I look at the weight.

"I could hold it only for three seconds," Liana laments. "It felts like it was resisting me."

"There'll probably be a limit to how much you can lift off with your telekinesis," Julia ponders.

I try lifting it as well but I manage only three seconds as well before it falls down.

"At least something is normal for me," I'm actually glad I wasn't able to do it.

"You're far better at delicate manipulation like lifting several objects as once," Liana says. "How many things can you levitate at the same time?"

I focus on light objects like Julia's laptop, her medical suitcase and a few others things and I manage to levitate seven of them.

"Damn, I can do three at maximum," Liana laments.

"I think it's something you can train," I try to encourage her. "Come on, you're the second-best caster. You can do it! You're already way better than the rest of Celestials."

"And I have to stay that way if I want to remain the Viceroy," she sighs. "Working hard and training hard."

"Wait... so if someone else surpasses me I don't have to become the actual Emperor?"

"You already are one, stupid," she shakes her head, annoyed. "Ask Ingri who's monitoring not only the social media but also the current mood of our people. No one, I repeat NO ONE, doubts that you should be our Emperor even in the real world."

"And they have no idea about his telepathy," Julia points out.

"It better never get out or the EU government won't think twice about using brutal force just to get you," Liana says darkly. "It's the public that protects us, Aefener, not my security."

"N-no?" I'm taken aback. "But I thought that..."

"My security is making sure no one gets inside to sabotage us," Liana's tone is dead serious. "Or try luck, looking for loopholes. But do you think I could resist the army if they really decided to storm the place?"