59.2. I'm the Emperor - Part 2

"My love!" Gotrid lands right in front of me and goes for a feathery hug.

He's crying and his tears are making my own face wet but I don't mind. I feel immensely relieved that we're reunited. I don't regret flying away because I needed it but I regret leaving him. He must have been heart-broken that I panicked even though he was there for me. I hope I didn't hurt him.

"I was so scared!" Gotrid is kissing me all over and I feverishly return his kisses.

"Aefener, do you want to give us a heart attack?!" Liana lands just a few moments later. "Do you have any idea how scared we were?"

"Sorry," I say simply.

It was immature of me, sure, but I don't think I need to profoundly apologise. It was their fault for starling me. They kept me in the dark and this is the result.

"What happened, hon? You're literally shining," Gotrid is staring as me, mesmerised. "Is this your real mana capacity? It's godly, no kidding."

"I grew tired of hiding," I caress his handsome face I missed so much and then look sternly at my Viceroy.

Liana bites her lip, suddenly not sure how to react. I bet she had a burning rant prepared for me and meant to scold me like never before but there's something different about me now and she feels it. She doesn't dare to berate me.

The other Celestials also go for landing, taking every suitable spot nearby. They are whispering excitedly to each other and their emotions are fluttering wildly. But they aren't angry that I flew away. On the contrary, they're blaming themselves for failing their entrée and scaring their Emperor. They might be a bit too fanatical when it comes to me but they are good people.

"Your Majesty, we're truly sorry for startling you," Soren steps closer to apologise. "But please, we implore you, don't punish us like that ever again. You could have been attacked by monsters... kidnapped by humans... get hurt otherwise and..."

"I understand," I rise my hand to stop him.

And in that moment my stomach growls loudly, reminding me that it still hasn't been fed.

"Right, I couldn't fly back to you because I got dizzy," I murmur, a bit embarrassed. "I'm starving. Gotrid, please, tell me you have something on you?"

Gotrid grins and fishes not one but three different protein bars out of his robe. I'm saved! I gobble the first one in a matter of seconds and take longer with the rest, savouring each bite. The Celestials are simply watching me eat in silence which isn't exactly pleasant but I don't care.

"So," I swallow the last bite, feeling much better already. It wasn't that filling but sugar is quickly getting into my bloodstream, making dizziness go away.

"So?" Liana gets extremely nervous, fearful even. She suspects I'm about to say something she won't like.

"This can't happen ever again," I state uncompromisingly. "You can't keep me in the dark even if you think it's for my sake."

"We just wanted to protect you," Liana blurts out and lowers her head in an obvious act of subordination. "We really did."

"And I do believe you," I continue, my voice as regal as never before. "But, at the same time, it shatters my trust in you, don't you understand? How can I trust subjects who lie to me? Moreover, the people I consider my closest friends?"

"I'm so sorry, Aefener, b-but... we did it for you and...," her voice trembles but she still thinks she was right.

It's here. I need to do this—I have to stand my ground. There're over three thousand Celestials here as witnesses so it's literally now or never. I must not only act as the Emperor but also come clean. No more keeping secrets from my own people. I'm coming out as a telepath. I'm taking a leap of faith.