20.3. Refugees - Part 3

We're busy for the rest of the day so when we finally get to bed, we're totally exhausted. Liana somehow managed to secure beds for everyone but even her huge mansion isn't built to host fifty-three oversleeping guests. Draconians are literally everywhere but the hustle and bustle calms down around midnight.

"Does your head hurt?" Erik snuggles up to me.

"A bit," I say. "But still much less than I would have expected. It seems Draconian minds don't exhaust me so quickly."

"That's good, right?" he tries to cheer me up.

"I'm not sure," I chew my lips. "It's also easier to enter a Draconian mind. I have to constantly watch myself."

"Which I imagine isn't easy when they're constantly grouping around you," Erik is annoyed. "It's much harder to find opportunities to cuddle."

"We can make up for it now," I kiss him hungrily.

We keep it up for a few minutes, both too exhausted for anything wilder.

"By the way, what did they mean by the Royal Consort?" he recalls.

"Hmm... I think it's a term that means a sovereign's partner or something," I ponder.

We look it up on the internet to be sure and find out that it indeed describes a spouse or an official companion of a reigning monarch.

"That's soooo weird," Erik prolongs. "But I guess it also means that I was acknowledged as your boyfriend by Celestials?"

"I think it does," I nod.

"Not that we need anyone's acknowledgement," he grins and kisses me again.

*****

We get a video call from Gin the next morning. Gotrid is finally up and even though he looks pale, he survived the ordeal without significant blood loss. His wings are grey with black patterns and really tiny. Were my wings so small as well when they came out? They sure grow fast.

"So the first batch of refugees arrived at your place," Gotrid ponders. "How are you managing? We're only five in this apartment and we already had some disputes."

"Over what?" I ask.

"Nothing serious, basically nonsense," he assures me. "But it demonstrates how differently we perceive the world now."

"We'll see how it goes here," I say. "Can I ask you to continue your work organising our people in the USA when you recover?"

"Of course, Your Majesty, count on me," he smiles confidently. "I'm in contact with other high-levels from the royal guild and they all want to help. The distance is a bit problematic, though."

"R-right... travelling is dangerous for us," I shiver.

"Another thing is that the government wants to limit our movement," Gin speaks up. "They're talking about registering all Draconians and not letting us pass borders for now. What about the EU?"

"Well, we don't have any borders anymore," I shrug. It's been forty years since states became regions rather than countries.

"Lucky you," Gin hisses. "We could really use Emi here. It doesn't feel fair that two race rulers and two viceroys are at the same place. With Deminas in Russia and Twyla with Werden being from Brazil, we don't have anyone in the US except for me."

I try to remember what I know about the Earthborn viceroys who are also a couple. Everything is so yin-yang with their race. I think they're from Asia but I'm not sure which countries. Ingri will certainly know, I have to ask her and get to know them soon.