69.3. Loyalties - Part 3

Ingri and Haldis show up just an hour later when I'm drinking my afternoon coffee. They're both nervous because they have no idea why I requested their presence all of a sudden. Ingri is a bit more chill because she's been with me from the beginning, but Haldis is on the verge of a panic attack.

"Nothing's wrong," I say quickly to calm them down. "I just missed you at today's artisan presentation, Haldis."

The Dragonkin can't really grow pale, but it's obvious Haldis is really uncomfortable about it by the way they are waggling their tail.

"Because those pricks didn't let them join, Your Majesty!" Ingri says angrily.

"Figured as much," I sigh. "Are they giving you a hard time, Haldis?"

Haldis lowers their head and doesn't dare to meet my eyes. I can feel they're deeply hurt and saddened. And I hate it. Haldis's situation is simply too close to home for me to ignore.

"They said they won't accept a no-female-nor-male into their guild," Haldis whispers. "They said I'm a waste of a good female."

"I admit that I don't know that much about Dragonkin social structure," I say slowly. "But I bet it has a lot to do with the fact that 80% of the Dragonkin population is male."

"That pretty much sums it up," Haldis nods, their tail twitching. "By the Dragonkin standards, I failed my people by refusing to be proper female since they are so rare."

"B-but... that's terrible!" Erik is outraged.

"I love being a Dragonkin, but I envy Celestials," Haldis finally looks up. "You're so equal and free when it comes to genders and sexual orientation. Your Majesty is a living example of that."

They make me think about it for a moment. It's true that Celestial society is absolutely egalitarian when it comes to gender. All Celestials have more or less the same fragile physique and the only thing that matters is a magic skill, especially when it comes to the Royal Guard, so distinguishing between men and women is meaningless to us.

As for sexual orientation, lore doesn't say much about it. Draconia Online as a game promised to protect the rights of all minorities, so any hateful actions or harassment were penalised severely. Still, it's lore that applies to us now, not some company policy. And where lore is rather hazy, there is space for our racial tendencies to unfold.

"True, Celestials consider these things to be up to an individual," I nod after a short consideration. "I'm sorry it's not the same for the Dragonkin, Haldis."

Haldis looks down and nervously waggles their tail.

"Just say it, Haldis," Ingri encourages her friend. "I'm sure His Majesty will give it a thought at least."

I smile because it's not hard for me to guess what Haldis is about to say. But I don't rush them. It's better if they come with it themselves.

"I... I would like...," Haldis is stuttering, their anxiety rising. "I... would like to... work directly for Your Majesty!" they blurt out the last part.

I feel Haldis expects I'll turn them down. After all, while Celestials are more than willing to cooperate and trade with other races, we never let strangers into our midst. Assiath was a good example of that, only Celestials were allowed to enter as opposed to other Draconian capitals that didn't have any racial restrictions.

But I'm the Celestial Emperor and my word is the law. If I say that I accept specific Draconians into my direct services, then nobody can object. Erik and Gotrid are right, I should start using the perks my position brings. I'll do that now.

"I was about to propose you the same thing," I say gently which makes Haldis look up again.

"You were...?" they are speechless.