66.2. We're Family - Part 2

"Do I look okay?" Gotrid asks nervously.

"Your right sleeve is crooked," I fix it for him. "Calm down, if the Anderles are going it be angry at someone, it will be me. I got Erik into a polyamorous relationship."

"Ehm," Erik clears his throat. "You're panicking, both of you."

"Naturally," Gotrid shrugs. "I need to make a good first impression."

I wanted to book one of those fancy conference rooms we use for our diplomatic guests but Erik refused that idea straight away, arguing they wouldn't feel at ease there. Besides, he wants to show them our new apartment we can finally proudly call home so it was decided we'll eat in our dining room.

"Your Majesty, the Anderles are here," Cien enters the bedroom to announce their arrival. "Lord Gotrid, your feathers are all puffy."

"I know," he cries. "I can't help it, I'm too nervous."

For once, Erik doesn't make any mean remark and even looks at his rival with sympathy.

"Don't worry, my parents are super nice," he makes a rare effort to comfort down. "The worst that can happen is that they won't be thrilled about our polyamorous relationship but I'm an adult and it was my decision. They'll respect that."

That finally calms Gotrid down a bit and his feathers flatten.

You're the best, I send Erik a private thought.

I know, he smirks.

I take Erik's hand, then Gotrid's. I send them both my love and take a bold step. With all of us feeling more courageous, we appear in front of Erik's parents who are waiting for us in the lobby.

"Your Majesty," they bow the moment they see me.

Erik runs to them, hugging them tightly. They hug him back happily and I hope it's a good sign. When they separate, there's silence for a second or two because the Anderles stare at my new partner, studying him literally from head to toe.

"Mr and Mrs Anderle," Gotrid gulps. "It's my pleasure to meet you, my name is Gotrid. Please, call me that, I don't need fancy titles from you."

"Pleasure," it's Mrs Anderle who offers him her handshake first if a bit stiffly.

"And mine," Mr Anderle follows cautiously but there's no distaste in his mind.

To be honest, I get a bit envious. How come Gotrid gets to touch them while I can't? What kind of stupid court rule is that? I want to break it! Badly! But I don't want to scare them so I hold back.

"Lunch should be ready in thirty minutes, let's tour our new apartment!" Erik suggests enthusiastically to avoid another awkward silence.

"Can we?" Mrs Anderle bites her lip, not wanting to intrude.

"Please, you should see where your son lives," I smile encouragingly. "All doors are open to you."

"Let's go then!" Erik pushes his hesitant parents inside.

"Wow, Erik, it's huge!" the Anderles are genuinely impressed by our living room.

"What can I say, I'm dating royalty," he grins boastfully.

I let Erik lead, staying behind with Gotrid while the Anderles are being gradually shown all the rooms, including our bedroom and the walk-in closet. Especially the walk-in closet.

"Your dream came true, you've always wanted one, darling," Mrs Anderle laughs.

By the time they've seen everything, Ayala calls us for lunch. The dining table is nicely decorated for the special occasion and the Anderles are very interested in Celestial chairs. The starter is served, my favourite cheese cream on a biscuit.