50.3. Arriving in New York - Part 3

The migraine is gone when I regain consciousness but I can still feel that the emotional pressure is much greater than in Liana's skyscraper. Even though there're many Draconians in the hotel, humans make most of the guests. It's going to be a tough week.

"How are you feeling?" Erik asks, leaning over me, and kisses me on my forehead. "Everyone is super worried about you. Those who know about your telepathy twice as much. They're scared you won't be able to attend the conference."

"I'm much better now," I assure him and slowly sit up.

I rub my eyes and inspect the bedroom. It's huge, twice as big as the one we have in the skyscraper. I'm lying on a king size bed which is really comfortable but I wish it would be even bigger, my wings won't fit fully.

"We're in a presidential suite and it's still not enough for you?" Erik laughs and massages my sore wing muscles. Then he gets serious again. "Ryuu, are you sure you'll manage?"

"If I'm not forced to go through the whole city again," I say, uncertain. "I'll fly to the conference building as far from humans as possible and I won't hear otherwise."

"Liana thought as much," he nods. "To be honest, they also don't want to repeat that journey. Besides, the Celestial delegation arriving at the venue in the Celestial style would be very impressive so I have no doubt you'll be allowed."

"What time is it anyway?"

"Five in the morning," he informs me. "Jet-lag is a bitch. I slept for a few hours when you did but my inner clock is confused just as they say. What about you? How can you sleep so much anyway?"

"My brain is always exhausted I guess," I shrug. "But don't let Werden do that again to me, I hate not being in control."

"We had to, you were seriously hurting, Ryuu," Erik sighs sadly. "You scared us, even Ms Behera seemed deeply concerned. She was evidently made responsible for our safety."

"Was I suspicious?" I ask, worried.

"Not really, Liana told her that you're just not feeling well after the long journey. Only," Erik clicks his tongue, "it's now kind of obvious that Celestial weaknesses have a heavier toll on you. We were trying to hide that fact."

"At least next time I'm not feeling well, they'll already know that my body is frail so they shouldn't pry that much," I wave my hand.

"We don't want any next time, we should prevent you developing migraines in the first place," Erik says with resolve. "Luckily, there should be lots of Draconians at that conference. Can't you focus on them or something?"

"I'll certainly do just that," I nod and look around. "Where's my laptop? I imagine some work must have piled up."

"You should take all the rest you can, hon," he shakes his head. "What about a nice morning meditation?"

"You're still afraid I won't manage the conference," I frown.

"We are, naturally," he doesn't try to hide his worries. "How about you practice now?"

I roll my eyes that he's forcing me into it but he has a point. I fold my legs into a proper meditation posture, straighten my back, spread the wings to the sides and close my eyes.

"Focus on me... your friends... your fellow Draconians," Erik guides me, caressing my wings. "Others don't matter so stop paying attention to them. They're like ambient sound."

When I focus, emotions all around me intensify so meditation is a double-edged sword. I try focusing solely on the Draconians in the building. Most of them are sleeping, the guards are patrolling and some are suffering from jet lag. I can also feel many Draconian telepathic imprints that are new to me, no doubt Twyla and Werden's Earthborn delegation and Deminas with his entourage.