7.1. My Viceroy is a CEO - Part 1

"No way! You're THE Laura Richter?" Fefnir opens his mouth wide and stares at her.

And he's not the only one—who wouldn't know about AstraTech's mysterious owner who is known to be adamantly rejecting all attempts for interviews and hates to be photographed. I think I once saw a rare photo of her on the Internet but I hardly ever pay attention to these things so her face wasn't familiar when we met in the restaurant.

"Yep, that's right," Liana simply nods.

She acts nonchalant about it but I can feel she's a bit nervous. I wasn't able to identify such subtle nuances before but with my levelled-up telepathy I can tell that she's afraid we won't see her in the same light as before—as one of our gaming buddies. I guess rich people have it tough as well, just in different aspects of life.

"B-but... why would someone like you play VR games?" he shakes his head in disbelief.

"Why wouldn't I?" she raises her eyebrows. "CEOs are people too, you know. And come on, you make it sound as if VR games are only for losers with no life."

"W-well... of course not," Fefnir admits because it'd mean he's one of those losers. "I just didn't think have-it-all people would play hardcore RPG games."

"It's my means of relaxation," Liana says, "to become someone else and forget about the mundane at least for a while. Isn't it the same for all of you?"

I get it; someone like Laura Richter must be constantly facing unimaginable pressure and unending workload. She probably plays Draconia to escape it in a similar way I use VR to escape the unending avalanche of emotions from other people.

"So," Fefnir's expression brightens and his emotional state changes. The shock is digested, now he's amused. "You started playing Draconia and ironically end up being the Celestial viceroy. How is that relaxing?"

"It... got a bit out of hand," Liana sighs. "I'm a workaholic and an over-achiever and it seems I can't help it even in the virtual world. I never planned to be the viceroy but as that title automatically goes to the second best Celestial player, I inevitably became one."

"And then you saw how hopeless Aefener is at planning anything that isn't combat-related," Fefnir chuckles, "and just couldn't ignore it?"

"Pretty much," she shrugs. "Once a manager, always a manager I guess."

"I've always thought you must be some kind of manager in real life," I smile. "Don't worry, you're still Liana to us."

She smiles back, looking grateful. It seems like a big deal for her and I suddenly feel the urge to explore her mind. There're so many contradictory things in her that I can't help but to be fascinated.

Erik clutches my hand. Is he jealous that I'm so interested in her? But it's not like I can seriously fall for my viceroy, being a woman and all, so I send that reassurance telepathically to him together with a thought: Don't be silly, I love only you.

"Anyway, I'm perfectly capable of giving Aefener asylum," Liana continues with the original topic. "My mansion has its own security service and I can accommodate even you guys if you want. Not Ingri, though, she goes back to her parents."

"Oh, come on," Ingri finally speaks up as she's been silent for a while. "Don't treat me like a kid, I'm seventeen already. I want to go with you. What do you think will happen when my parents find out? They'll send me to hospital for sure."

"Your symptoms are slow, your immersion level wasn't that high, right?" Liana opposes. "Aefener needs protection because they'd most probably treat him as patient zero but you're just one of million other players. Doctors won't be particularly interested; they'll go after high-levels."

They start to argue but their heated debate is paused by my cry. The swellings start to itch all of a sudden and it's almost unbearable.

"No, don't scratch it," Erik catches my hand.

Fefnir quickly examines my back. His touches mitigate the itching a little bit but he's not scratching my back either. I whine and beg but nothing softens them to allow me some relief.

"I suspect your wings are getting ready to come out," Fefnir observes.

"From under the skin?" I gasp. "H-how?"

"I'm afraid they'll have to split the skin," he says slowly. "They can't stay inside for much longer considering how fast they're growing. Probably the sooner they come out, the better for you. It shouldn't hurt so much if they grow outside your back."

"Were your ingame wings big?" Erik is curious. "Or just symbolic?"

"Huuuuuge," Fefnir smirks.

"We know nothing so far, they might not be as big here," Liana objects.

"They must be if you really want to be able to fly," Fefnir insists.

"Birds have different bones than humans," Ingri remarks. Is biology her hobby so she chose to play as an Earthborn? "Can't it be the reason why your whole body is hurting? You might need to get hollow bones to make your skeleton lighter for flying."

"Oh, hollow, haven't thought of that," I clutch my chest. "I do feel weak, you may be right."

I shiver and Erik hugs me more tightly. I'm scared shitless and I don't freak out only because I have no energy for that right now. Erik keeps comforting me by sending me lots of love.

Whatever happens, I'm staying with you, he says in his thoughts and I honestly don't know what I'd do without him.

"Did you come up with some theories why it's happening when I was passed out?" I ask to distract myself and stop from developing a panic attack.

"Sure, one theory crazier that the other," Fefnir says. "I'm in favour of a massive genetic experiment done by some super secret organisation tinkering with VR while Liana's theory is more mystical."

"It's not really if you think about it," she shakes her head. "I proposed some kind of rapid evolution. Our brains are spending lots of time in VR and who says another evolutional leap cannot happen in accordance to what our brains believe in?"

"That is quite mystical," I say, "but it doesn't sound so far-fetched considering the circumstances. I'm prepared to believe anything at this point."

"I proposed aliens," Ingri boasts but she suddenly sniffs and furiously looks around. "Aefener, do you have a plant in your apartment? I smell something... green."

"A small cactus near the window in my kitchen," I reply, confused about the off-topic question. "It was a present."

Ingri behaves as if she's almost in a trance. She runs off and brings the plant with her. She gently pats it, totally mesmerised.

"Ingri's Earthborn powers are awakening I bet," Fefnir comments.

"They probably are, I can feel something," Ingri whispers, charmed by the little succulent. "You don't give it enough care, Aefener. Shame on you."

"Sorry, I know nothing about plants. I'm surprised it was able to survive at all in my care," I say guiltily. "You can have it if you want."

"Thanks, I'll nurse this poor thing," Ingri nods.

"Another breakthrough discovery," Liana coughs to clear her throat. "But back to the main topic. We should move Aefener immediately before he's not able to travel at all. Fefnir, any idea how long does he have?"

"Hmm, hard to say," Fefnir thoroughly examines my swellings again. "There's no way of telling but unless the transformation is meant to kill him then judging by the speed of the growth I'd say a day or two?"

I stop breathing for a moment. Could I be killed by my own wings? Bleed out when they try to come out? If it's some sick government experiment, who says the first test subjects have to survive it?