58.1. Panic Escape - Part 1

Being forcefully woken up is never a nice experience. Erik is trying his best to be gentle but he disturbs my deep sleep so I wake up disoriented and groggy. We went to bed immediately after we returned to the hotel and had dinner yesterday but I still feel like I didn't get enough rest.

"What's the time?" I groan, unwilling to open my eyes just yet.

"Five thirty," he starts tickling me under my feathers. "Sorry, love, but the night guards woke us because the situation demands it. Monsters appeared in Europe a few minutes ago."

I'm suddenly wide awake, quickly sit up and accidentally hit Gotrid with my wings. But he's not annoyed at all and gives me a good morning kiss. I calm down a bit. For a second, I thought that I have to solve everything myself—such is my Emperor's nature I guess—but that's not true. I have my partners and other people I can rely on.

"Dress me immediately," I order my maids because they're waiting at the door anyway.

It seems I was the last person they woke up. All the guards are on the highest alert, I sense Liana working in her apartment and my partners are already dressed. What the...?

"It's more efficient that way," Gotrid answers my unspoken question. "Now we can focus on quickly taking care of you while you had a few more minutes to sleep. You're the one who needs to be well rested in order to make important decisions."

I resist arguing with them, run off to wash my face and let my maids dress me. My today's robe is dark violet with golden ornaments, really pretty and royal. I want to speed the process but Ayala and Cien insist I need to look my best and spend the usual amount of time combing and styling my ridiculously long hair.

"It happened in Greece," Liana blurts out the moment we meet in the hall.

"How many casualties?" I gulp and clutch Erik's hand.

"Four, it was only low-level monsters this time and a few Clawfangs who were nearby managed to put them down rather quickly," she summarises for me.

I shiver. Four is still four too many. Four people who didn't have to die. If my father is somehow responsible for this, then he's a psychopathic criminal and he needs to answer for it.

"We have to get to the UN headquarters under thirty minutes," Vermiel tries to hurry us. "The other representatives are already on their way."

"If we start arguing about political bullshit again...," I frown.

"I doubt that, not this time," Liana shakes her head. "We need to agree on specific steps how to deal with the threat, there won't be any sugar-coating and nonsense."

"Gosh, I'd kill for a cup of coffee," Gotrid cries.

"You'll have quick breakfast once we get there," Cien assures us.

"Emi didn't return at all?" I notice that I don't feel her in the hotel. That's strange, where did she sleep? I hope she's okay.

"No idea," Vermiel waves his hand and makes it clear that their only interest is me, their Emperor.

"What took you so long?" Deminas is waiting for us in the lobby. His wife Anya isn't with him. He either let her sleep or didn't take her with him on purpose in order to protect her.

No such luck with Erik, he simply wouldn't let me leave him here. But I'm actually glad for that. We're going into a political battle, not real combat, so I don't have to fear for his safety. Besides, I'll need all the support I can get and having a proactive partner is definitely a plus. Erik senses what goes through my head right now and give me a reassuring smile.