Chapter 43: Competing for a Caramel

"What are you doing here during a study session?" I said quickly, trying to calm down.

"Looking for someone." He replied.

One of his goon friends leaned over from behind him. "Shit that's fucking annoying." He said as he came up to us.

"It's fine," Another spoke from further back, hidden behind Atlas. "We'll catch up with him later..."

I didn't know what they were talking about and I didn't care. And having Atlas breathing down my neck didn't help me in any way whatsoever.

"What-"

"What are you up to?"

I scowled at him. "I said nothing..." But he peered closer. "Just adding my phone number to his contacts."

Since the only letter written in yet was 'A' I just filled out the rest of the information with my own name, Akara, covering the number as much as I could with the rest of my hand.

I turned around to see him staring blankly at me, and then at Amir.

"Atlas?" One of his friends called him.

He nodded. "Alright, bye." He said, kindly shoving my head forwards before walking out with his friends.

I exited Amir's contacts and put the phone onto standby, handing it back to him. Amir pocketed it quickly like he was afraid Atlas might just reach out and pocket it in the middle of class.

"Jesus..." Amir said quietly beside me. He was looking kind of pale as he watched the group walking out and I only realised that Atlas was glaring at him as he walked. A dark intimidating glare that made my heart race even though he wasn't looking at me. "Shit, he really hates me."

"Uh, no." I patted him on the back, swinging my backpack back onto my shoulder. "He hates everyone."

Amir looked doubtful but said nothing. "What a dick." He said to himself. "It's a wonder he even has any friends at all."

I shrugged. "Yeah... Guess so."

I wasn't sure why I wasn't wholeheartedly agreeing. It somehow felt wrong hearing it from someone else... like I was the only one that was allowed to say things like that about him.

"You're gonna help me with the ballots thing?"

I nodded.

"Don't see why you're going to all this effort just for a girl to look at you four seconds longer in the morning."

"Other perks too," He replied, typing something into his phone. "I'm trying to get into the good boy crowd." He cackled.

That was a very specific type of crowd. Almost a clique. Guys like Callen who tried asserting their better-than-you status every time they passed through the hallways. Give them the slightest bit of power and they were on top of the world handing out citations like their lives depended on it.

"Ferris is tight with that lot-" He continued, looking up at me.

The bell rung just then and his voice was drowned out. I waited a second suspecting it to be a fire alarm but realised break was well and truly over.

I stared at my PE kit sitting on the desk and frowned.

"Get out, you're not supposed to be in here." Came Jacob's voice to the side of me. His eyes on Amir, his expression cold. Amir nodded quickly and gave me a wary look before jogging out of the classroom through the group of students that had followed Jacob to my table. My eyes followed him out the door. "And you," He turned to me, I looked up at him. "Get moving."