Chapter 170: A Lot of Tears

[A/N] That... That was not the chapter I meant to publish! (ᗒᗣᗕ) ˚。Erase your memories of it! Retrograde amnesia everyone on the count of 3! 

Thank you to my darling patron you messaged me about it. 

Unfortunately I don't get email notifications for comments on my stories so I would have only realised when I woke up and I was about four seconds from sinking into a very deep 16 hour sleep....

Okay here we go, here we go.. The author has not perished. I can't resist speaking like Julius Caesar sometimes. This author presents you all with the next chapter...

[Atlas's POV] 

Maybe it took me a while longer than it should have to notice how odd Akara was behaving. It was hard reflectively to look back and pinpoint when it started but he was looking down at the ground a lot, drifting off and saying very little.

When we were leaving he stuck close to us, even walking in step with us and dressing quickly but standing close by and waiting without saying anything. I'd have teased him about it if I'd been in the mood but something about the way he was standing there, watching me pull on a shirt, made me feel peculiar.

I raised my bow at him when he stepped on my heels as we were leaving the changing room on the way out.

Before I could ask him what was up though he was gone, had ducked around Jacob and hurried ahead of us. "I need the toilet," I heard him swallow as he spoke. "See you guys in class! Maybe not. Might need the nurse. I drank too much..."

"Hey!" I called out after him.

Jacob frowned and glanced back at me, narrowing an eye. "What did you do?"

I pointed at myself. "Me? Shut up. I've done nothing. He's in a weird mood all on his own."

Jacob stared after the closing door, the door stopper making sure it closed slowly and quietly behind the disappearing student. "He was sick yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me if the drinking made it worse..." 

He glanced over me with a slightly critical gaze as we exited and I held the door open.

I scowled at him. "I didn't make him drink. He was the first one to head over. I think you forget we aren't his parents..."

He rolled his eyes, cool crisp features looking down to check his watch and started heading in the direction of block C. 

I followed. "Why're we going here? Next subject is-"

There was some commotion to the left of us. Another teacher and Mr Marsh arguing with the late coach driver about the volleyball players being too late to attend their game or something like that. 

Jacob looked back ahead of us. "I need to grab something from my locker in the prefect common room, then I'll go check if Akara is with the nurse. Go ahead of me."

I clicked my tongue. "I'll go with."

He shrugged and we left together, I texted Akara but got no reply and vaguely remembered his phone was low on battery. Given Jacob's phone was broken, or the screen cracked at least, neither of us had a good way of communicating at the moment.

I forgot about this, however, when we got to the prefects common room, and to the right of the door outside was a girl sitting on the floor, straight up crying.