Chapter 113: Gift is in Attendance

I'm not saying going to school ever felt particularly comfortable but walking in through the large school gates with Gift on my tail was definitely disconcerting. It felt like bringing a parent with me to school, one that I'd shrunk down to my age. 

The thing about Gift was he wasn't a tattler. If I did something wrong or caused havoc in some way he didn't wait and tell my parents or my aunt or uncle, or even promise to tell them, write down my misdeeds like a policeman. 

No, he was what we call; a man of action. Just reached over and hit the back of my head, or dragged me away from whatever I was doing by my ear or sometimes ran after me with a broom or duster or whatever he got his hands on and hit me with it. And as a kid I'd wail and run to my mom and naturally she'd look down at me, raise an eyebrow, and ask what I'd done. 

I was a bad behaved kid but not in the angry sense. I was just hyper and bored and my uncle and auntie were always old and boring. I never got how Gift could just spend all his day in his room studying like there was some big finals coming up. 

They had a pool and they never used it, such a waste. I wasn't allowed in there when it wasn't cleaned but I'd go in there anyway, then play dead when people came in and scare them and laugh and inevitably get chased down by Gift.

It got to a point where my auntie would report back to Gift when I was doing something wrong and Gift would be the one to tell me off for it because they knew I was weary of him.

But it had been a while since I'd stayed in Thailand now, even though I kind of missed it.

Even if it was hot even when it was raining and my grandparents have no wifi and their rooster has a problem with me and I inevitably, at some point, break multiple objects trying (through manly and unaffected means) to get away from a cockroach the size of my fucking face.

That said I'm also good here.

"Take me to reception first." He demanded. "I can do it, then lunch, you can give me a tour."

I nodded. "It's just over..." I pointed at the main doors, reception being just to the left of them, visibly.

"You can show me."

"It's just there." I told him, pointing again as we walked up.

"You can show me." He repeated.

I rolled my eyes and walked in with him and lead him up to the secretary, who wasn't there.

"You're sure this is right?" He asked, scrutinising the reception through the glass.

"It's here, I go to this school I know where-"

"And your school has no secretary?"

"It has one, she's just not here-"

"Hello boys." The figure of a receptionist with chocolate painted lips and an inverted hourglass figure suddenly appeared, stepping in from the side room noiselessly enough to startle us both.

I couldn't remember her name but knew her loosely, she didn't like me. She pushed her glasses up, looking bored already as he glanced between us and frowned. "Aha, so there's two of you now." She rifled through the sheets on her desk, presumably one of them had him on the register. "Great." She mumbled unappreciatively toward the desk.

I felt the tick of annoyance in my neck. If anyone else heard that they'd be thinking she was being racist or something, but there were other Asian people in the school. 

What she actually meant was there were two Akara's. Two jumped up little pricks that the teachers would have to suffer through teaching.

One thing that bugged me the most was when there was the odd receptionist that disliked me based solely on things teachers chatted to them about. I mean I didn't know her, didn't have bad interactions with her, it just pissed me off...