Chapter 169: Prey

[A/N] I'm back from my break !  Had a little delay but here we go....

I give this chapter..... 🚞🚞🚞🚞🚞 5/5 cliffs ! !

Warning for this chapter ! keep a cover nearby to hide under (ᗒᗣᗕ)

I suppose I didn't really think through the whole drinking late into the night on a school night thing, because by the time the morning came I wasn't ready to great it and neither was Atlas. Instead the first thing I remembered was my arm around Atlas, a low unhappy growl, and the warm muscular body beside me shifting slightly.

The moment I tried to open my eyes there was the slow pulse of a small headache. My mouth tasted bad and I knew I'd have to figure my way round some toothpaste and my finger and even then I wasn't ready to get up. The bed was comfortable, the sheets soft and smooth, and the scent in the covers felt warm and safe.

"You may have gotten away with breaking into my room but you won't get away with skipping school on my watch." Jacob's voice cut into the room, and I blinked awake and looked over to see him strolling past already dressed and groomed, makeup on his face to cover the bruise, and wrapping a watch around his wrist. 

He looked down at us, eyes flitting over the two of us for a split second before his eyes settled on me, something dark brushed through his eyes, and he looked away again, darker brows casting a shadow on his face for a moment.

"I have a headache." I grumbled lightly, my voice was low and slightly raspy, but instead of clearing my throat or getting up I turned back slowly and kept my hand on Atlas's chest.

Call it embarrassing, call it what you want, it was probably the first time I'd realised now nice it felt to just lay there and feel... what there was to feel. I wasn't running my hand all over him anyway, just letting it stay where it was before, relieved that the guy was too asleep to laugh at the obvious sizzle of interest I felt at the contact.

It was the slow returning memory of yesterday that finally pulled me out of from under the covers.

It should have made me tired, so I could hide and not go to school at all, so that I wouldn't have to see the looks on everyone's faces when they found out what I'd been up to, so that I wouldn't have to see the looks on my parent's faces when they found out I was kicked out of school, when they found out they had retaliatorily been fired.

But naturally I wasn't safe here from that, in the Bird's nest, I knew that.

I felt like crying getting up out of that perfect deep sleep. I'd been so comfortable.

Maybe my doomsday feelings were the reason why I sat up, pulled the cover down, leaned over and pressed a kiss onto Atlas's lips, whose eyes flickered open a second later, blinking at me, as if confused. A spark of interest flashed and I pulled away before the hand that raised could grab my arm.

I slid off the bed and pulled down Jacob's arm and kissed him too, breathing in the soft warm lips, hesitant to move back even as I felt his hand slip around the back of my neck and the subtle weight felt like an order. 

There was something odd about the way he moved when Jacob's view changed, that was to say, when there was something inexplicably dark in his eyes, his touch and kiss changed too, and I felt it against, me something slightly rougher but in a calm way, a tongue drawing inside and when I moved to end the kiss the hand on my neck tightening slightly and something in my stomach melted as the kiss helplessly began to heat up.