Chapter 69: Under the Sprinklers

[A/N] I hope everyone knows already my computer broke and I wasn't able to update for a time. It's still not fixed but that's a trilogy for another time. Thanks for being patient, we are back now. ^

We hadn't gotten so far from the football field when I noticed someone else was running in our direction but I wasn't paying attention enough to realise they were actually heading towards us. I was thinking about Gift.

He was only a year older than me but much more mature and it was sometimes awkward to hang out with him. He was protective, like a brother that I didn't really know so well and that made it awkward for me. But it was going to be more awkward than anything else explaining to him that I was being babysat by a prefect every day at school. When I thought about it I wanted to turn back and bury my head in the sand like a flamingo turning her eggs.

Whoever it was heading our way also disappeared behind us and never fully entered my vision and I forgot about them as we walked.

"Why are you pulling!" I growled.

"Because you won't walk otherwise." He stated.

I wanted to say I would but I probably wouldn't. "Why'd you need to talk to me right now anyway? It's lunch break, you're off babysitting duty..."

He glanced at me and his eyes were cold as he pulled me back towards the school across the running track.

"What's your relationship with that kid." He asked me, but it didn't sound like a question as much an insult.

My mind went blank and I had to manually extract his words from the air and place them in order inside my brain as I looked up at him with wide eyes. "Uh huh?" I made the noise as my brain failed to function like an average IQ human. "Oh Amir... We're friends."

But it seemed like the time it took me to answer his question convinced him otherwise and while I wasn't sure what that meant but he suddenly seemed inexorably cold after that.

"Friends."

"Fucking hell Jacob, you sound like you don't believe me..."

"Show some respect, I am your prefect." He snapped at me. "And unroll your sleeves."

I frowned but undid them slowly.

"And do up your cuff buttons," He continued. "You look like a delinquent..."

My back prickled, I wanted to say something scathing but the way he caught my wrist as he started pulling me along completely distracted me. The warm fingers wrapped around it fully, applying the sort of pressure that made me uneasy.

I saw his eyes looking at me sideways as we walked, there was something hard in his look and the grip he had on my wrist gave me butterflies in my stomach.

I pulled my wrist away slightly and he tightened it, yanking it after him. My face burned slightly as I followed then, without complaint, trying to not make it obvious how much just feeling his fingers on me made my heart jog in my chest.

He only let go when we passed the track field to walk past the football field, which was just opposite track, and a ball came flying our way out of nowhere.

It went 'whoosh' through the air and whistled and was about an inch from smacking me directly in the forehead when Jacob pulled me backwards roughly by the collar and I squeaked as I fell back, stumbling.

There was a wave from one of the lads playing and I glared at them, stalked over to the ball and decided to really smack it into his face. I didn't play football much and I wasn't great at it but aim wasn't my problem as much as stamina was.