Chapter 107: Buddies Keep Secrets

I couldn't run properly on legs that felt like they were made of watered down yoghurt and ended up walking fast down the corridor, hurriedly pulling on my shirt, heart pumping like I was getting ready for a marathon, flushed down to my toes.

"Callen!" I called again.

Just as I called his name a teacher yelled his name. Mr Peters was there, stalking through the corridor with his checkered trousers and slightly turned up nose. "Callen!" He yelled. "What on earth do you think you're doing?!"

Callen sort of stumbled to the side trying to slow down around the teacher, and when he turned to apologise I saw how much he was blushing. That could have been from the exercise but I had the strong feeling it wasn't. It made me feel even more embarrassed.

Crap, I really needed to stop him from talking. Neither Jacob nor Atlas would like this on their record... once people found out, would they still be on good terms with me? I mean Jacob ordered me around, but I didn't mind that so much, I kind of felt his good intentions I guess, and Atlas... I mean I couldn't really imagine being ignored by him at this stage.

I hurried to fix my uniform before turning while I slowly walked past Peters.

He glanced at me as I walked past, my shirt wasn't done up all the way because I'd been putting the buttons through the wrong button holes. "Crap, off by one." I mumbled, realising it and fumbling over the fabric with my fingers as I moved away from him. He didn't say anything but I saw his mouth open like he was about to.

I moved faster down the hall.

Luckily between the two of us I was was faster than Callen. Maybe because he was slightly shorter or because when he was trying to walk fast he looked like a rooster.

"Slow down!" I yelled at him as we turned a corner.

People looked at me as I past.

I tutted and tried to fix my shirt as I walked but it slowed me down and as Callen moved into a jog again I thought I really lost him when I looked back up and saw he was gone.

It took me a moment to notice the door swinging to the left, just gently delayed by whatever mechanism it was that stopped the doors from slamming, widely installed in the school.

I hurried after him and slipped inside as well, checking left and right in case there were the slightest sign of teachers or students about to take charge of the room. There was no one.

When I entered I saw him about to leave through the second exit so I stumbled fast sideways to make it in front of him and block his way.

I raised my hands. "Chill out! Just let me talk, please!"

He covered his face with his hands like he was shy or something. "I really don't want to!"

"Well if you fucking run from me then we have to!"

He tried to move to go to the other exit and I stepped in front of him again. "Callen!"

"What do you want! I didn't see anything..." He grumbled.

I walked him backwards past the teachers desk as I spoke.

"I know you saw it- that- I'm not trying to freak you out I'm just trying to ask you to please not tell anyone!" I grabbed his shoulders. "Please."

His chest was rising and falling fast, he looked more out of breath than me. "Jesus..."

"Callen." I tried to get him to promise me.

"I think I'm gonna go into shock."

"Please don't."

He glared at me. "When..." He breathed out. "Oh crap it all makes sense now..."