Chapter 48: The Great Buttonoffsky

I don't know why but I wanted to cry all of a sudden. Was that just my reaction whenever someone was nice to me I just didn't know how to handle it?

I guess perhaps I wanted to go home or something. Whatever the hell was up with me. This had been a long day.

I looked down at the table and buried my face in my hands.

At least I was here with him, at least he didn't come in here to tell me off. In a weird way sitting here in the dark with him in this dusty old storage room wasn't bad at all. I didn't love the impending feeling of doom but whenever we lapsed into a set of silence there wasn't any of that awkwardness I was used to with other boys.

It felt like we were calm, I was comfortable. In other words, less words, it was nice.

I tried to shuffle closer to him without it being obvious, the chair squeaked.

I looked up but he said nothing.

I covered my face with my hands again. I wasn't sure if I was about to burst like a baby but I wasn't taking any chances. I wasn't going to let Jacob see me cry.

After a moment I felt less upset, the quiet really was good, even if the sound of footsteps walking past was enough to make my heart hammer away in my chest.

I looked up. Jacob was looking at me.

I looked back down.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

Man, that was a weird thing to hear Jacob ask.

I nodded quickly, swallowing. "I should just leave now." I said quietly. "I don't even care that much when I get in trouble, this is pointless."

He narrowed his eyes, watching me with something that looked like a glare but didn't feel like it was directed at me.

I felt moisture in my eyes and tried to wipe it away before it turned into something more embarrassing.

There was a squeak from his chair as he stood up.

"Alright, let's go."

I nodded, but I felt miserable for some reason.

I guess I'd lost. I stood up and pulled my backpack on properly, slightly hunched as I walked up to Jacob who was standing in the way for us to leave.

I looked up at him, waiting for him to move and march me out of here

Instead he said nothing as reached out towards my neck and gasped when he grabbed a hold my shirt and pulled. I almost fell forwards into him, my hands landing on his upper chest, steadying myself, too surprised to think to pull him away as I was pulled towards him. And instead of thinking what the hell I was distracted by the feeling of his chest underneath his shirt, muscles that couldn't be seen as well as felt, before I was released.

"What the..." I looked at up at him, wondering if I should be swearing at him or something, and then saw what he was holding in his hand and I realised that he'd just ripped my button out.

Straight up ripped my button out.

I stared at him with wide eyes, but he didn't react even in the slightest. Instead he grabbed my arm and dragged me out after him.

I couldn't help it, my heart did a double take. "You..." But I didn't know what to say.

We were in oh so beautiful luck as we left the room, because Callen appeared to be just returning, no prefects following his heel but sporting a mean look as though he was ready to lie about that.