Chapter 166: Good Reason

[A/N] Thanks for being patient everyone, I'm a little weird right now with sleeping unusually long, but we got there in the end ! ₍ᐢ. .ᐢ₎ִ 𓂃⊹ ִֶָ

My head felt scrambled as I chased myself from the gym down to the school gates and nearly threw myself into Atlas on the way out as he was heading back inside. He caught me before I could side step him and grabbed an arm, pulling me back towards him, and frowned at me, looking me over.

"Where've you been? I looked in the detention rooms but you weren't there. Why aren't you answering your phone?"

I could barely unglue my throat enough to speak. "Lost it." I managed to whisper.

His frown didn't ease and he didn't let go of my arm as we walked from the school. I kept pace with him as we turned the corner. He was walking slower than usual and for once I wished he wouldn't. "Are you sick?" He asked after a moment.

I shook my head, then shrugged, then nodded. "I threw up."

He stared at me, glanced behind us and continued walking.

Maybe he simply forgot to let go but he kept a hand on my arm as we walked and mentally I clung onto it all the way to the park. Felt the warm fingers wrapping around it like a tether to keep me from spiralling off into the distance.

I pretty much let him lead the way and didn't focus on the path at all.

We moved into the park through the trees and past the outdoor gym until we were almost at the opposite side where the benches were just beside the residential area with a road just a few paces behind.

There Jacob sat, clearly uncomfortable, crossing his legs as we approached.

My relief in seeing him was soon crushed by the look of him.

Atlas stopped first while I walked right up.

He looked around, and then back at Jacob.

Jacob sighed and put the book I realised he had on his lap beside him. "We had an argument. The school has agreed to not mark me as absent as long as all work is completed as usual."

He had a blue and purple bruise that went from his cheekbone to his ear, which was cut slightly at the top, and his knuckles on his right hand looked raw, scabbed over.

Atlas was speechless for almost as long as I was, the shock of seeing him like that had startled the both of us.

"Tell me what happened now!" Atlas barked suddenly and I jumped beside him, wide eyed.

Jacob looked a little surprised too, and looked puzzled as he stalked up to him, his voice and eyes accusatory although he probably didn't mean them to be.

"He just fucking hit you? Out of nowhere? Why?!"

I nodded fast. "Your dad actually hits you?" I shouldn't have been shocked but I bloody was. I knew the guy was scary but that was...

He sighed, looking between the two of us, his eyes lingering on me for a moment. "Well, it wasn't really my father that did this..." He smoothed his hair back with steady fingers, looking a little annoyed.

"He received a picture..." He sighed long and hard.

"Of what?" I asked, my breath shaky.

He waved his hand. "Not that, just of you kissing my cheek, from a while ago now."

"Callen-"

He shook his head. "Different photo." He sighed. "They should really ban the usage of phones in this school. It's brought us nothing but trouble..."