Chapter 58: Hentai, Pretzels and Prohibition

I don't know why exactly the presents meant so much to me but I clung onto them, keeping them inside the bag with the blue plastic wrapped around my fingers like I was worried they'd take them back.

It wasn't like I was poor or anything, maybe a bit on the lower income side of things but we weren't hard up, so a gift like this should have meant nothing to me. For some reason the fact that they were embarrassing made me like them even more, they made me inexplicably happy.

Just as we were sitting around my room though I noticed Atlas's eyes settle on my bookshelf with my rows on manga. I kind of forgot what I had lying around my room because since no one ever hangs out here I've never really had to be conscious of it. That was why when he stared at the books it took me a moment to realise what he was looking at.

My face tinged pink, heart jolting. "Okay, so tea..."

"Juba Sojuro..." He read out the authors name slowly. Jacob turned his head to look at what Atlas was looking at.

In a bit of nervous panic I reached out and grabbed his arm, pulling him in the other direction. He turned around and stared at me in surprise then shrugged my hands off, muscles flexing as he did, and turned back to look at it.

"The Holy Princess and the Cursed Shougu..."

Jacob was peering now too. My face was burning at this point. I shoved his shoulder. "I'm asking if you guys want tea, are you arseholes going to answer or not?"

He ignored me, shrugging me off as well. "What's a shougu?" He asked instead.

I died a little inside, the thought of having to explain was just insult to injury. Maybe god thought I'd embarrassed them enough and now it was my turn.

"It's a... a sword."

"A sword?" Atlas asked me, turning around with a smirk on his lips. He looked so fucking smug I could have just... My eyes naturally drifted down to his lips, there was something about the curve of them that... I blinked, fucking awful, his fault I even went there.

"A sword." I replied firmly, glancing at Jacob.

Even though Jacob resonated the sort of killer vibes of someone who knew his way around it was impossible for me to imagine him even glancing at a computer screen for any other reason than to study or... I don't know, play chess. Much more impossible to imagine him wanking off to some porn.

"What kind of sword?" He asked.

"A... A cursed sword."

He nodded and there was a pause. "Is it long?" He asked.

Dammit that arsehole knew...

~⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣︵⌣~

A bit later and we were settled on my bed, drinking tea from the odd mugs I'd brought up. I had a couple snacks I'd pulled out, none of them seemed to interest Atlas as much as they did Jacob. But the tea seemed to sit well with him. I noticed as he sat there how perfect his posture was even sitting cross-legged on my bed, it was almost infuriating how distinguished he managed to look even when his shirt was crumpled and his hair messy from falling asleep.

When his phone rang Jacob gave Atlas a pointed look, demanding he stop crunching down on pretzels. He shrugged and continued and Jacob narrowed his gaze further, hesitantly answering either way.