Chapter 125: Bad Wingmen

[A/N] Fun fact: I went over this chapter three times only to realise before publishing I'd written 'cock' instead of 'coke'.  So I laughed at that more than I should have.

We were sat in a clean, modern looking café with large windows that faced outside the shopping mall, lots of plants, low hanging lights and expensive pastries. It felt like a very Gift style date, very sensible.

And she was pretty. Really pretty. She was Asian too, shoulder length black hair, straightened to perfection, and limited makeup, or it wasn't the obvious kind. She looked sensible as well. Narrow frame, a formal dress in half black and half white that went down to just above her knees, a pink handbag next to her.

Julie smiled at me.

I smiled back at her.

My stomach twisted as I took a sip from my coke, shoving it in my face, wondering if the heat in my face might have the power to burn away the remaining brain cells in my head.

On either side of me sat Atlas and Jacob, looking like two massive bodyguards on either side of me, scaring everyone away, and no one in their right mind would be able to figure out what in the fucked-up situation was going on. Since no one had really defined the relationship properly it meant none of us had to actually ask ourselves what we were to each other.

No, I took a sip of my coke, feeling Atlas's arm brush against mine as he reached over and grabbed my cake, maybe I looked like a hostage. If I gave her a napkin she'd probably check it to see if I was secretly trying to ask for help.

Julie's eyes darted back and forth between us before she quietly took a bite of her croissant.

I looked at her and practically saw the reflection in her eyes, what she saw, me sitting opposite her, Jacob to my left, Atlas to my right, and even when you weren't facing them they still managed to feel imposing, she had to be freaked the fuck out.

She smiled uneasily at me. "So, um, I guess... What are your hobbies..." She glanced at Atlas and Jacob. "What do you guys like to do?" She amended the question to include all three of us.

"I uh..." My mind was drawing a blank. What did I like to do? I was always trash at small talk. "I like uh, drawing."

"Really!" She seemed enthusiastic about that, maybe that was coming from the very awkward tension between the four of us that felt like was successfully constraining the entire room. "I love drawing."

"When do you draw?" Jacob asked me, a passing me a critical gaze as he picked up his coffee.

I glared at him. "I draw all the time."

"You mean on my notes?"

I shrugged gingerly.

"You drew on his notes?" She laughed, looking puzzled.

"He did." Jacob replied, turning to her with a pointed gaze.

She looked a little startled but possibly pleased, maybe because whether Jacob really did have a sweet, soft, snuggly teddy bear of a personality, his face more than made up for it, and if I was being real, his body did as well. He could be as much of a bastard as he liked and she'd probably still smile at him instead of me.

Atlas yawned and stretched out his arms across the top of the sofa behind us, and a glance was enough to see the frustratingly sexy lazy look, his muscles now perfectly on display in his black shirt, arms outstretched.