Chapter 121: To Support Our Child

I knew I should have taken Lily to the private hospital, the free one was a proper maze, but private would report back to mom immediately so there wasn't much of a choice. Lily would give herself up in time but I wouldn't rush her. I didn't want her to mess up like me. Even if I do well in school I'd always know that the reason I didn't get kicked out five or six times so far was because the teachers were afraid of my family money.

And Lily clung to me the entire time, opting for my arm and shoulder instead of her left crutch even though it looked infinitely more complicated. She clung onto me while I walked her down the hall slowly, and took a wrong turn before realising the sign ahead was for the blood room, whatever the shit that was. Turning the opposite direction finally saw the Radiology sign up ahead.

It lead up to a room with a couple rows of seats and a reception. We headed up there and handed in the papers the doctor had given us.

"Name and date of birth please." The receptionist asked.

Lily repeated it. She'd probably never been asked those two questions so much in her life. Seemed like it would save time if we got it tattooed on her face.

The receptionist did something on the computer, wheeled away on the chair to say something to the man at the other end who chuckled, probably a continuation from a previous conversation, then casually wheeled back and looked at the screen, nodded looked up at us. "Sit down. They'll call your name." She made it sound like she'd told us already.

I narrowed an eye at her but she was already turning her back on us, leaning down to open a drawer.

"Alright, let's..." When I turned I ended up looking down the hallway I assumed lead to the actual radiology rooms, there were seats there, and unless I was going mental in one of those seats was Jacob.

I blinked slowly.

"Atlas?" Lily tugged on my arm.

I shrugged, almost forgetting she was relying on me to hold her up. "Wh- Uh, yeah." I frowned, realising people were beginning to look at us. An old lady in the front row smiled at us, that smile. They looked like they thought we were dating, and the shared crutches and the weird loud clopping she was doing with one of them was only drawing more attention.

Fuck it.  I thought as I pushed the crutch back into her hand and watched her struggle to hold onto it, giving me a puppy-faced look of betrayal for about a whole second before I reached my arms around her waist and picked her up from behind and she squeaked.

Motherfucker.

I hurriedly put her down by a seat well out of sight and peaked back to see if Jacob was looking in our direction but he seemed preoccupied, instead I saw another person looking at us.

Akara.

What in the fucking world.

Akara blinked at me as he slowly realised that it was indeed me standing about three metres away, initially holding the kid that squeaked. He still stood still, like he didn't know what to do, or where he was. His black hair dishevelled and the slightest purple mark on his face by his eye.

He was staring down the hallway directly at Jacob but from the back of the room, so that I hadn't initially seen him when I'd gone up to the reception desk.

I checked out Lily, she was fine, other than the blushing, she was red in the face, her lips pursed as she looked away hesitantly, her ailments suddenly forgotten. 

I rolled my eyes and dropped my bag down beside her.

"I'm going to talk to my friend, if they call you just leave my backpack there and go."