Chapter 28: Tornado in the Hallways

[A/N] Uploading this a little later in the night than usual. I've been fiddling about on patreon for about an hour and a half. It's right mad there tonight.

His glare always made me nervous, I didn't know how to look at him anymore, especially not after the day before. After the kiss. I wasn't sure what to make of everything going on anymore, and I was used to feeling like I knew everything so I wasn't loving that.

My eyes immediately flickered down to his lips and the brief recollection of how soft they had been brushed through my mind.

I tried looking at the floor instead, then up at his forehead.

"I'll see you in the stairwell at lunch." He demanded.

I nodded, not saying anything.

He raised an eyebrow and turned away and it took me a full moment before I realised that I had just agreed to meet two people at lunch time in completely different places. It would be fine, I convinced myself, not because I knew what I was going to do but because I was sure that when lunchtime came about I would know what I was planning on.

"Move." I heard Jacob order me forwards as he marched in front of me.

I stayed standing still in the hallway, watching his tall, perfectly groomed form move five paces in front of me. Even as he walked his shirt seemed to stay perfectly ironed as though it was making a conscious effort to look good on him.

My clothes didn't look like that. My clothes look like I forget to hang them up after I take them out of the washing machine which I do but the effort I go to occasionally trying to iron them with my mom's hair straightener ought to do more than make the shirt warm.

I followed Jacob from behind, deciding I liked it a lot more when he wasn't marching me from behind. And like this I could look at him as he walked without having to glare at him when he noticed me. He had a nice form, just something to notice in general. Nothing weird about that. I was straight but I wasn't blind.

Suddenly he slipping in through a small cluster of girls chatting as they walked slowly in front of me as they parted for him. I tried moving forwards to follow but the barricade slowly closed back in together.

Unwilling to say anything or make an effort I gave a week cough and stepped loudly but the girls continued walking slowly, blocking the entire corridor, without noticing me.

Did I just have that little of a presence? I moped, watching the girls laugh in union as they talked. All these years of trying to blend into the walls at school had apparently served me well. I might as well apply for a position as a piece of wallpaper. 

I was about a head taller than most of them so I was beginning to think they were doing it on purpose when they suddenly split in the middle and I felt a hand grab my wrist and yank me through the group.

There was a loud squeak as I was flung forwards into Jacobs side that sounded like it might have come from an eight year old girl, but hey, there were a lot of girls around so it could have been anyone, there's no evidence it was me, not that anyone would accuse me of that.

Jacob gave me an amused look. I pulled away from him but that slight smile stayed on his lips as though found something funny.

I scowled, following close by him this time.

Thinks he's all that...

I looked up at him again. The smile was still there. He looked really nice in profile with that smile. It was teasing, I hated teasing, but I wasn't mad enough to try and say it didn't look good on him.