Chapter 134: Who is Gift?

Walking through the campsite to get to the other end I turned just in time to see the look Brett gave me as Jacob dragged me after him. Amusement, mockery, he thought I looked like an idiot that was for sure.

I felt a tinge of red on my face, that annoying squeezing feeling of embarrassment.

He couldn't see what I was thinking in my head, Brett didn't even know me well enough to remember my name, but it felt like everything I felt was on display, the butterflies in my stomach plastered on my face.

The easy feeling drained off and I felt tense as he pulled me along, I could try to yank my arm away but if he didn't let go then I'd get that feeling again and while I could feel my head getting hot I didn't know how much of it people could see.

"Do you have to do that?" I mumbled under my breath as we reached the tent we would be sharing, looking around. 

If he heard me he didn't respond as he grabbed some shampoo from his hiking backpack and a towel, and I threw down my backpack next to his, rubbing my eyes. I was tired, and nervous, and feeling kind of grouchy. 

The more I panicked about what might happen but also might not happen and might just be in my head but definitely wasn't, the more I realised how little I understood whatever the fuck we were, despite it seeming so clear at times, when nothing else was on my mind. 

I didn't know what I wanted this to be either, so how could I ask? What if their reply was a bad one? How could it be anything else? What reply would make me happy? The more I questioned myself the more scrambled my brain got.

What question would I even be asking them?

I threaded my fingers through my hair and closed my eyes briefly, then pulled out my towel, soap and phone and slipped it into my pocket.

Atlas stepped out, rolling his shoulders. "There we go, no thanks to you." He raised an eyebrow at me.

"I'm sure their chat was important." Jacob replied sardonically. "Let's go."

We were going together because of course we were, not one by one, but that was okay because there were stalls, floor to ceiling, with latches, and even if people were sharing them there were enough people that neither of them would dare to do anything more than freak me out. As long as it didn't go further, that was all, I'd set the bar low.

I huffed and turned, walking only a short way away as they followed behind.

"Not gonna say thanks?" 

I frowned, turning back. "For what?"

Jacob raised a brow at Atlas.

"We did all the hard work, putting the tent together." He gestured behind him but didn't turn to look. "We've got a castle to sleep in."

"He can help next time." Jacob replied.

Atlas scoffed. "He can also be thankful he's got us putting the tent together for him."

I pursed my lips. "Th-"

I watched in slow motion as the one side of the tent lifted up behind them. 

I blinked slowly, eyes going wide. 

It slowly rose up in front of me as I watched and froze for a second.

"Thanks, yeah, I can tell, you did a great job on that by the way." 

But like the tent, my sarcasm didn't make it over their heads, and with my eyes fixed over their shoulders they both turned to see what I was looking at.